Senior Legislative Advocate
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Applications should be received by June
14, 2019, to be considered for the first round of interviews.
SALARY RANGE (Depending on Experience): $76,487 – $102,500 per year.
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) is a well-established and innovative non-profit
organization dedicated to advancing the rights of Californians with disabilities.
DRC works to achieve fairness and justice for people with disabilities through
individual and impact litigation, state and federal policy and regulatory advocacy,
and community education and training.
The Senior Legislative Advocate is part of the legislative unit for Disability Rights
California (DRC) and is responsible for legislative advocacy activities. The Senior
Legislative Advocate identifies, monitors, and advocates legislative activities that
affect Californians with disabilities; has expert substantive knowledge in two to
four disability rights areas; and, a working knowledge of all areas covered by
Disability Rights California.
– J.D. or advanced degree in related fields such as political science, public
administration or other subjects that provide foundation for legal analysis,
lobbying and drafting of legislation for people with disabilities.
– Three years of experience in legislative advocacy, legislative staffing, or
public policy development.
– Two years of additional experience in any of the following areas: 1)
legislative advocacy/legislative staffing; 3) community organizing; or 4)
advocating for the rights of people with disabilities.
– Experience and ability to work effectively with a variety of organizations and
individuals with diverse perspectives, the public, elected and appointed
officials, people with disabilities, and governmental agencies, especially at
the state and local levels.
– Demonstrated understanding of legislative process and protocols and
public policy issues regarding rights of and services for persons with
disabilities, and other public interest areas.
– Experience reviewing, analyzing and lobbying with the state budget
– Demonstrated ability to independently analyze complex legislative and draft
organizational posture statements regarding proposed legislation.
– Knowledge of public policy developments and laws at the state and federal
levels regarding rights of and services for people with disabilities.
– Ability to work collaboratively with other DRC staff, community
organizations, agencies and the legislature.
– Demonstrated ability to draft sponsored bill language, budget trailer bill
language and bill amendments.
– Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
– Ability to analyze complex problems, develop solutions, and explain
legislation so it is easily understood by people at the legislature and the
– Contacts with disability organizations or within disability communities.
– Ability to work effectively as a member of a legislative or public policy
– Experience in using word processing systems.
Licenses / Certificates
– Must be a registered lobbyist or become registered within 60 days of
– Must attend Lobbyist Ethics Course.
Working at DRC is more than just a job – it is a rare opportunity to do what you
are good at while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a
generous benefit package. To view the detailed job description and complete the
application process visit https://jobs.lever.co/disabilityrightsca/8b751287-a230-48e5-ab7b-ee2d81ec8236?lever-origin=applied&lever-