Senior Legislative Advocate
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Applications should be received by October 7, 2019, to be considered for the first round of interviews.
SALARY RANGE (Depending on Experience): $76,487 – $102,500 per year.
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) is a well-established and innovative non-profit organization dedicated to advancing the rights of Californians with disabilities. DRC works to achieve fairness and justice for people with disabilities through individual and impact litigation, state and federal policy and regulatory advocacy, and community education and training.
The Senior Legislative Advocate is part of the legislative unit for Disability Rights California (DRC) and is responsible for legislative advocacy activities. The Senior Legislative Advocate identifies, monitors, and advocates legislative activities that affect Californians with disabilities; has expert substantive knowledge in two to four disability rights areas; and, a working knowledge of all areas covered by Disability Rights California.
- D. or advanced degree in related fields such as political science, public administration or other subjects that provide foundation for legal analysis, lobbying and drafting of legislation for people with disabilities.
- Three years of experience in legislative advocacy, legislative staffing, or public policy development.
- Two years of additional experience in any of the following areas: 1) legislative advocacy/legislative staffing; 3) community organizing; or 4) advocating for the rights of people with disabilities.
- Experience and ability to work effectively with a variety of organizations and individuals with diverse perspectives, the public, elected and appointed officials, people with disabilities, and governmental agencies, especially at the state and local levels.
- Demonstrated understanding of legislative process and protocols and public policy issues regarding rights of and services for persons with disabilities, and other public interest areas.
- Experience reviewing, analyzing and lobbying with the state budget process.
- Demonstrated ability to independently analyze complex legislative and draft organizational posture statements regarding proposed legislation.
- Knowledge of public policy developments and laws at the state and federal levels regarding rights of and services for people with disabilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other DRC staff, community organizations, agencies and the legislature.
- Demonstrated ability to draft sponsored bill language, budget trailer bill language and bill amendments.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, develop solutions, and explain legislation so it is easily understood by people at the legislature and the general public.
- Contacts with disability organizations or within disability communities.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a legislative or public policy coalition.
- Experience in using word processing systems.
Licenses / Certificates
- Must be a registered lobbyist or become registered within 60 days of employment.
- Must attend Lobbyist Ethics Course.
Working at DRC is more than just a job – it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a generous benefit package. To view the detailed job description and complete the application process visit https://jobs.lever.co/disabilityrightsca/f0b0eb2f-a98b-4d0d-89af-81ab04fb7051?lever-origin=applied&lever-source%5B%5D=LAAC%20Recruiting