About the Position:
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA and our flexible hybrid work environment is the place for you!
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Senior Grant Accountant. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 170 employees with over 80 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org.
- Strong accounting skills and knowledge of GAAP;
- Strong Excel skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong initiative, problem solving skills;
- Practical experience with fund accounting and cost allocation;
- Experience with Abila MIP-fund accounting software preferred;
- Minimum 4 years accounting experience;
- Minimum 4 years of government grant billing experience;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Nonprofit experience preferred;
- College degree in accounting preferred; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0-hour workday to ensure project completion.
Examples of Duties:
- Responsible for grants and contract billing and collections;
- Responsible for grants and contract financial reporting to funders and management;
- Prepare and input journal entries;
- Prepare and maintain prepaid expense and deferred revenue schedules;
- Prepare general ledger account analyses as required;
- Prepare accurate and timely monthly variance analyses as required;
- Assist the CFO and Director of Fiscal Management with special projects and research as required.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Senior Grant Accountant” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, marital status, or any other legally protected status.
NOTE: LAFLA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law. You will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.
Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Eligible employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.