Public Counsel’s Opportunity Under Law project (OUL) is hiring an experienced, Senior Counsel to work alongside the team of attorneys and organizers currently in the Project. This is a non-exempt position, and may be full-time or part-time depending on the successful applicant’s interest and availability.
Public Counsel is the largest pro bono public interest law firm in the country. Founded in 1970, it is dedicated to advancing equal justice under law and addressing economic, racial, and other inequities by delivering free legal and social services to the most vulnerable members of our community. Public Counsel operates eight legal projects: Children’s Rights, Community Development, Consumer Rights, Homelessness Prevention, Immigrants’ Rights, Veterans’ Rights, the Audrey Irmas Project for Women & Girls’ Rights, and our impact litigation project, Opportunity Under Law. Public Counsel has a full-time staff of 130. We seek to have a racially inclusive staff.
Public Counsel’s Opportunity Under Law (OUL) was formed in 2014 to build on Public Counsel’s longstanding economic justice and impact litigation practice. Public Counsel’s Opportunity Under Law combats economic injustice in all its forms through strategic campaigns combining litigation, communications, and community outreach. The cases this project initiates will affect large groups of people within California and nationwide. Current areas of focus include homelessness, education rights, children’s rights, immigration rights, criminalization of poverty, and low-wage workers’ rights. For more information, visit http://www.publiccounsel.org/practice_areas/opportunity_under_law.
Public Counsel seeks an experienced Senior Counsel to join the OUL team in litigating complex federal and state impact cases to promote civil rights and economic justice. The Senior Counsel will be responsible for managing and leading existing cases and developing new impact litigation opportunities in collaboration with the Director of OUL, Project staff, staff in Public Counsel’s other projects, and volunteer attorneys.
JOB SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Fifteen or more years of litigation experience in economic and racial justice and/or public interest law, including significant experience litigating class actions;
- Demonstrated ability to independently identify, conceptualize, lead and manage significant public interest litigation;
- Experience and competence in working closely with community-based organizations and people of diverse cultural, geographic, and economic backgrounds, including individuals who are low-income and racially diverse;
- A commitment to economic, racial, and social justice and community lawyering
- Record of successfully collaborating with outside law firms and partner organizations;
- Experience working with media and communications;
- Demonstrated commitment to economic and racial justice;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Juris Doctor degree and a member in good standing of the California Bar.
START DATE AND COMPENSATION
- Salary is commensurate with abilities and experience
- Immediate full-time or part-time exempt position available depending on the successful applicant’s interest and availability
- Public Counsel offers a competitive benefits package including: (1) medical, dental, and vision coverage with both HMO and PPO options, (2) the option to enroll in a Flexible Spending Account, (3) a 403(b) retirement plan with elective contribution and an employer contribution after a year of employment, and (4) employer-paid life insurance and disability plans.
- Public Counsel follows all emergency state and local orders arising from the current COVID-19 crisis. Though generally this position is office-based, currently all staff must work remotely from their homes. Public Counsel will assess when the physical office will reopen in a manner consistent with public health and local and state emergency orders.
Continuous until position is filled.
Please send a resume to:
Kathryn Eidmann, Betsy Beers & Bruce Cormicle Senior Supervising Attorney
No phone calls or paper applications please.
Public Counsel is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, gender identity or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
All qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.