Senior/ Consumer Law Staff Attorney
WHO WE ARE:
For over 50 years, CCLS has been representing and advocating for lowincome individuals in Merced, Tuolumne, Mariposa, Fresno, Tulare, and Kings Counties—a region where intense poverty exists side by side with unparalleled wealth and abundance. Our mission is to provide high quality, no-cost civil legal services to low income individuals, families, and communities—improving the wellbeing of our Valley through systems-changing advocacy, client education, and legal work that meets individual clients’ immediate needs. We also work closely with agencies and community organizations that share our commitment to support our clients in being their own agents of change.
Under the supervision of the Senior/Consumer Team Lead, the Senior/Consumer Staff Attorney will provide services to eligible seniors and dependent adults in a variety of legal areas. The Staff Attorney will also be responsible for providing effective legal representation to address consumer issues effecting CCLS’s clients. As well, the Staff Attorney will engage in community outreach and will network with client groups, agencies, individuals and other community-based organizations on issues that impact CCLS’s senior and consumer clients.
Position: Senior/Consumer Law Staff Attorney Experience: 2 Years of Related Experience Application Deadline: See website Location: Merced or Fresno Office Term of Employment: Regular, Full Time Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
HOW TO APPLY:
Please visit https://www.centralcallegal.org/careers/ to submit an online application and join our CCLS family in an effort to Advance Justice & Empower People.
- Represent senior and consumer clients in civil lawsuits;
- Assist with and bring strategic, impact litigation to prevent and remedy unlawful acts against seniors and consumers;
- Assist with simple estate planning matters for eligible senior and dependent clients;
- Provide legal representation to clients consistent with CCLS program priorities;
- Work to accomplish the Merced AAA seniors grant project goals with desired outcomes, and maintain accurate records and provide monthly written reports;
- Work with CCLS advocates to ensure the delivery of high-quality legal services;
- Participate in weekly CCLS case review meetings;
- Identify and analyze systemic issues through individual casework, reviews of the CCLS data, and participation in statewide networks of legal services advocates;
- Interface with other CCLS and California advocates on issues of mutual interest;
- Co-Counsel with other legal staff;
- Work with client groups and community-based service providers;
- Participate in community outreach and education events;
- Carry out CCLS policies and procedures;
- Attend continuing legal education seminars and keep abreast of changes in the law;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of California; or, eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program and California Bar admission within twelve months of hire;
- Experience working with low-income clients, collaborating effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations, and connecting and strategizing with local community leaders;
- Previous Legal Aid or other non-profit legal services experience desirable;
- Civil discovery, motion and litigation experience preferred
- Bilingual ability strongly preferred in English and at least one other language commonly spoken in the Central Valley;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills;
- Comfortable working under pressure; on a team or independently; passionate about the work, inquisitive, and analytical;
- Ability to travel as needed, proof of liability and property insurance on vehicle used.
SALARY/BENEFITS: Salary Range DOE ($54,684-$87,468); benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance coverage; employer contribution to 403(b) plan based on length of service; 14.5 paid holidays; generous vacation and sick leave policy; some professional dues paid by CCLS; if qualified, participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program, and/or a Bilingual Supplement. CCLS is an equal opportunity employer: we value equity, inclusion, and diversity, across all races, cultures, classes, ages, religions, gender identities and presentations, sexual orientations, body sizes, family structures, abilities, and all categories protected by law. We encourage all interested individuals to apply