Senior Attorney/ Staff Attorney – Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Practice Group
Senior Attorney and Staff Attorney 2
Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Practice Group
(Oakland, Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego)
SENIOR ATTORNEY SALARY RANGE: $85,176 – $114,134 DOE
STAFF ATTORNEY 2 SALARY RANGE: $75,100 – $100,641 DOE
Apply by March 11, 2020 to be considered for the first round of interviews.
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) is a statewide, non-profit legal organization dedicated to advancing the rights of Californians with disabilities to live with autonomy, dignity, and respect in a barrier-free, inclusive, and diverse world that values each individual and their voice. The Legal Advocacy Unit (LAU) is DRC’s core Protection & Advocacy legal program, tasked with fulfilling our federal mandate to defend the rights of people with disabilities in California.
Senior attorney and Staff Attorney 2 – Intellectual and developmental disabilities practice Group
The Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (I/DD) Practice Group is currently hiring a Senior Attorney and a Staff Attorney 2. We are a statewide team of passionate attorneys who use a variety of advocacy tools to enforce and expand the rights of people with I/DD. Our work includes impact litigation (including class actions), individual cases, policy and legislative advocacy, investigations, and other systemic reform efforts. We value the full integration of people with I/DD in their communities and choice in the services and supports they receive. We prioritize advocacy to enable adults to live full and dignified lives and to support children to remain at home with their families, consistent with their rights under federal and state law, including the Lanterman Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Supreme Court’s Olmstead decision. In an effort to eliminate all forms of discrimination against people with I/DD, we perform our work through a race equity lens.
We work at the cutting edge of disability-rights advocacy, legal representation, and public policy to:
- Challenge discrimination against people with I/DD, including enforcing the rights of deaf individuals with I/DD to effective communication.
- Combat the payment of sub-minimum wages to individuals with I/DD and advancing the core principles of the Olmstead decision, including the right to live and work in integrated, community settings.
- Represent individuals with I/DD in administrative hearings and Superior Court appeals challenging the denial or reduction of Lanterman Act services.
- Address the intersectional needs of people with I/DD, including eliminating racial and ethnic disparities in the regional center system and confronting the criminalization of people with I/DD.
- Advance state budget, policy, and legislative advocacy to further the rights of individuals with I/DD.
MINUMUM QUALIFICATIONS: SENIOR ATTORNEY
- Juris Doctor degree (JD) plus admission to the California State Bar (or eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program), plus 7 or more years of experience or internal candidates who have worked at DRC for three continuous years and have 6 years of experience practicing law.
MINUMUM QUALIFICATIONS: STAFF ATTORNEY 2
- Juris Doctor degree (JD) plus admission to the California State Bar (or eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program), plus 5 years of experience or internal candidates who have worked at DRC for three continuous years and have 4 years of experience practicing law.
Working at DRC is more than just a job – it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a generous benefit package.
To view the detailed job description for SENIOR ATTORNEY and complete the application process visit here.
To view the detailed job description for STAFF ATTORNEY 2 and complete the application process visit here.