About the Position:
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA and our flexible hybrid work environment is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
Economic Stability Workgroup: provides services in employment, consumer and government benefits law to families and individuals who are struggling to stay on their feet financially. The ESWG represents destitute families with children, abused and/or neglected children, the disabled or elderly individuals in order to gain or maintain basic subsistence benefits or services they need. The ESWG assists workers in getting pay they are entitled to and to remove barriers to employment. The ESWG also provides services to consumers around debt issues, particularly student loans for those who become disabled or were victims of unscrupulous career or vocational school loan fraud.
· Active membership in the California State Bar with 10 or more years experience;
· Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income people;
· Litigation experience, including case evaluation, legal research and writing, discovery, negotiations, and administrative hearing or trial experience preferred;
· Expertise in government benefits programs such as CalWORKs, CalFresh, Medi-Cal, General Relief, Supplemental Security Income, Social Security benefits, In-Home Supportive Services, Foster Care, Wage Claims and UIB;
· Previous public interest experience preferred; and
· Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks commonly in excess of 35 hours.
Examples of Duties:
· Provide direct representation to individuals at government benefit administrative hearings and writs in Superior Court;
· Maintain caseload including leading work on affirmative litigation cases;
· Participate in and lead major policy and other administrative advocacy work;
· Participate in and support LAFLA and other legal services task forces;
· Assist in the development and implementation of creative, alternate legal strategies on behalf of low-income clients; and
· Regularly assist with client intake.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney-Economic Stability” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A one-year introductory period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
NOTE: LAFLA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with the exception of staff who are entitled to a reasonable accommodation due to a medical disability or sincerely held religious belief under the law. You will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated upon hire.
Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.