San Luis Obispo Legal Assistance Foundation (SLOLAF) is hiring a full-time bilingual legal administrative professional to join our team in a newly created Rental Self-Help Clinic Coordinator (“Coordinator”) position. The position is created through a partnership grant with the San Luis Obispo County Superior Court, funded by the State Bar of California. The Coordinator will run a self-help clinic at San Luis Obispo County Superior Court (3 days a week at the San Luis Obispo branch and 2 days a week at the Paso Robles branch) to assist eligible self-represented tenants and landlords navigate the court system.
The Coordinator will provide legal information on landlords’ and tenants’ rights and responsibilities, as well as the eviction process and getting a tenant’s security deposit back. The Coordinator will:
- Help participants identify which forms to complete depending on their needs and assist in completing the forms using www.lawhelpca.org’s interactive module
- Help participants with electronic filing, proofs of service and fee waivers
- Provide information packets in English and Spanish on a variety of topics, including sample demand letters for security deposits, sample 3-day, 30-day and 60-day notices, sample pleadings and discovery, understanding the eviction process and timeline for unlawful detainers, and representing yourself in the courtroom
- Provide information and assistance (but not legal advice) with responding to a complaint, preparing for trial and post-trial motions, judgments, writ of execution for possession and proofs of service
- Have information about other housing resources in the community and provide referrals to
SLOLAF is a non-profit legal aid organization that provides free legal assistance to San Luis Obispo County residents. Our mission is to provide legal services and resources to people in need, and our vision is legal access for all. Since 1992, SLOLAF has served thousands of those in our community in the greatest need, including seniors, veterans, and other vulnerable populations. Our staff and volunteer attorneys provide direct representation, assistance with self-representation, legal advice, community education and outreach, and referrals to other community resources.
- Screen consumers for grant eligibility
- Assess consumers’ needs and help determine which documents need to be prepared and filed
- Assist with document preparation such as unlawful detainer complaints, answers, fee waivers
- Provide legal information and assistance (but not legal advice)
- Identify participants needing further assistance and refer those to another SLOLAF program
- Provide referrals and resources
- Attend bi-monthly Court Community Partners meetings and quarterly meetings with the
- Assist SLOLAF staff with collecting and reporting data for this grant
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bilingual Spanish/English required
- Ability to work independently
- Paralegal certificate preferred but not required
- Minimum of two (2) years of relevant legal experience highly preferred
- Familiarity and competence with e-filing and Odyssey
- Ability to use appropriate software in the performance of professional legal work
- Licensed to drive in California with access to a working vehicle, or otherwise has a reliable
means of transportation to travel to court, meetings and outreach events as necessary
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with those who may have educational,
language, cognitive impairments, or other barriers to understanding
- Excellent organizational skills
- Passion for SLOLAF’s mission & serving those in need
Salary and Benefits:
- $21-$27 per hour depending on experience (non-exempt)
- Health insurance (Up to $500/month for employee-only coverage toward selected Anthem plan)
- Vision insurance (employee-only coverage, 100% paid by SLOLAF)
- Paid vacation & sick time, paid holidays
- No calls please
- Email cover letter (required) and resume, in PDF format, to SLOLAF Human Resources at email@example.com
SLOLAF is an equal opportunity employer.
SLOLAF is interviewing candidates now, position starts ASAP. Posting will remain open until filled.
Note: Due to restrictions in courthouse availability for in-person appointments due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will initially serve participants remotely. The position will work out of a mutually-agreed upon courthouse location for this remote work until in-person appointments are permitted.