Inner City Law Center (ICLC) is a nonprofit law firm on Skid Row in Downtown Los Angeles. We are looking for extraordinary people to help us end homelessness in Los Angeles. Founded on the fundamental principle that every person should always be treated with dignity and respect, ICLC fights for justice for low-income tenants, working-poor families, people experiencing homelessness, people living with HIV/AIDS, people with disabilities, and homeless veterans.
Position Description: ICLC seeks a dynamic manager who is passionate about justice and combatting homelessness to join ICLC’s fight to end homelessness by applying for the Co-Director position with ICLC’s Tenant Defense Project (TDP). The Director will co-lead a team of ICLC attorneys, paralegals, and administrative staff in providing high-quality legal services in partnership with the Tenant Defense Team’s Directing Attorney. The TDP Director does not have to be an attorney. Our team is part of the groundbreaking Right to Counsel Coalition and Countywide Stay Housed initiative that brings together more than 20 legal service providers and community-based organizations to prevent homelessness by defending homes. The Director will be responsible for assuring that the Team meets grant objectives and deliverables.
The Director of TDP’s primary responsibilities are to supervise and support the non-legal aspects of the TDP Team’s work including:
- Co-supervision of a legal team comprised of senior staff attorneys, staff attorneys, paralegals, and administrative support staff;
- Develop the team’s capacity to provide high-quality legal services;
- Develop and implement efficiencies to our service delivery model to adapt to growing staff, increased number of clients and referral sources, and ensuring high quality and client-centered legal representation;
- Refine policies and protocols to accurately collect client data necessary for grant and contract compliance; improve the team’s case management practices;
- Responsible for monthly and quarterly grant reporting;
- Serve as an integral part of ICLC’s management team and collaborate with the Directors of ICLC’s other projects to identify and pursue client-focused solutions to system barriers;
- Hire, train, and foster growing team of diverse attorneys and non-attorneys to establish a collaborative environment that is both healthy and strives to develop and retain high-performing staff.
Hiring Criteria: Demonstrated history of building and running successful legal programs. The ideal candidate would have at least five (5) years of experience managing a legal project and have a thorough understanding of the provision of legal services to low-income clients. Commitment to ICLC’s mission and values. Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Innovative and solution-oriented. Demonstrated understanding of issues affecting low-income communities and communities of color. Ability to assume responsibility quickly and work independently and collaboratively. Ability to use good judgment, multitask and meet deadlines.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
How to Apply: Cover letters and resumes are reviewed upon receipt and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter detailing interest in the position directly at www.innercitylaw.org/join-our-team.