POSITION: Program Associate, Pro Bono Justice Program (Los Angeles)
OneJustice is a nonprofit legal organization that brings life-changing legal help to those in need by transforming the civil legal aid system. We have three core program areas: (1) Pro Bono Justice, which expands legal services for Californians in need by developing and staffing innovative and effective pro bono projects with law schools, firms, and businesses around the state; (2) Healthy Nonprofits, which ensures legal services nonprofits have the business and management skills needed to survive and thrive, and (3) Californians for Legal Aid, which advocates for California legal services nonprofits on federal policy and funding issues.
The Justice Bus Project—a part of the Pro Bono Justice program—is an award-winning OneJustice project that takes urban law students and lawyers to rural and isolated communities to provide much-needed legal assistance to low-income individuals. OneJustice’s pro bono clinics serve over 1,000 people each year in California with immigration, criminal record change, and other legal services. More information about OneJustice, the Pro Bono Justice program, and Justice Bus Project is available at www.OneJustice.org.
The Program Associate plays a crucial role in ensuring the successful implementation of mobile legal clinics that expand the reach of life-changing legal services for underserved and isolated communities in Southern California, including coordinating all logistical details of Justice Bus trips. This position is a great opportunity to have a positive impact on underserved communities in California while acquiring and growing skills necessary for planning and coordinating events and working with legal and community based organizations. This is an excellent position for an individual interested in attending law school in the future. The Program Associate works out of OneJustice’s Los Angeles office and reports to the Staff Attorney responsible for OneJustice’s Justice Bus Project in Southern California. The position works closely with OneJustice’s Senior Staff Attorney for clinics and convening work in Los Angeles. Travel within California is required. Participation in occasional Saturday Justice Bus trips required.
Justice Bus Project Support (85%)
- Coordinate the scheduling and intake for clinic appointments and provide potential participants with pre-clinic preparation when necessary
- Coordinate all logistical elements of Justice Bus trips, including transportation, meals, and/or lodging for overnight trips
- Work with OneJustice attorneys to recruit community outreach partners and conduct on-the-ground outreach in Justice Bus target communities
- Design flyers and other documents and tools to support outreach
- Recruit and correspond with interpreter volunteers
- Update OneJustice’s attorneys on development and planning benchmarks for all Justice Bus trips
- Attend Justice Bus trips and provide administrative support during legal clinics
- Track and enter Justice Bus Project related data
- Track expenses for each Justice Bus trip
Pro Bono Justice Program Support (15%)
- Assist in coordination of Pro Bono Regional Meetings and Conferences
- Share general program, conference, and event support responsibilities
- Collect data, format spreadsheets, and design documents
- BA/BS or Associate’s Degree, or at least 2 years of directly relevant work experience
- Previous experience working with low-income and/or underserved communities preferred
- Spanish language ability required
- Valid CA driver license required
- Project management and/or event coordination experience
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to write/edit well and produce quality publications
- Enthusiasm and ability to envision and implement new projects
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google applications
Salary & Benefits:
- Starting salary for a Program Associate position is $41,065, with increases possible for each year of prior directly relevant professional experience, as dictated by the OneJustice salary scale
- Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), life and disability insurance, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, and holidays – including a full week off during the winter holidays)
- OneJustice also offers a flexible spending account for qualified health and commute expenditures
- Opportunity to learn the legal aid landscape in California
- Professional development support including annual professional development plan
- A supportive, team-based environment that allows you to take an early lead on projects
To apply, please visit: https://onejustice.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=20
Applications must be received by end of the day on Sunday, March 17, 2019. The ideal start date is mid-April 2019.
In the online application system listed above, be prepared to submit the following information: 1) a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position that describes relevant work and/or volunteer experience; 2) your resume; 3) three references; and 4) a response to the following question:
OneJustice serves highly diverse communities in our clients and in the broader legal services sector. To ensure that our agency is best positioned to serve these communities, OneJustice strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with our communities. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients and nonprofits and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. Please address in your cover letter how your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural competency and diversity amongst our staff. Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
To promote social justice and best serve our various communities, OneJustice is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups, as well as bilingual and bicultural candidates, to apply.