Program Associate, Pro Bono Consulting (San Francisco)
APPLICATIONS DUE April 21, 2019
OneJustice is an innovative and award-winning nonprofit that brings life-changing legal help to those in need by transforming the civil legal aid system. OneJustice works statewide to build the capacity of all components of California’s civil legal aid system to meet the legal needs of local communities and to ensure the availability of services statewide. The organization has three core program areas: (1) Healthy Nonprofits, which ensures legal services organizations have the business and management skills needed to survive and thrive; (2) Pro Bono Justice, which expands legal services for Californians in need by developing and staffing innovative and effective pro bono projects with law schools, firms, and businesses around the state; and (3) Californians for Legal Aid, which advocates for California legal services nonprofits on federal public policy and funding issues. More information about OneJustice is available at www.OneJustice.org.
OneJustice is looking for a Program Associate to join the Pro Bono Consulting team. The Program Associate plays a crucial role in ensuring the success of programs that expand the reach of legal services for underserved and isolated communities around the state. This includes supporting organizations with the implementation of legal clinics, supporting new and growing pro bono programming at organizations statewide, and delivering pro bono and nonprofit management teachings through in-person and virtual trainings. This position is a great opportunity for someone looking to have a positive impact on underserved communities while growing their skill set in nonprofit capacity building, and/or with an interest in building their background in a legal career.
The Program Associate works out of OneJustice’s San Francisco office and reports to a Staff Attorney and/or Senior Staff Attorney. Traveling within California is sometimes required.
Consulting Support (approximately 70%)
- Create consulting templates and coaching materials to support Pro Bono Consulting projects with national and statewide legal services organizations
- Provide technical assistance and resource tutorials to legal services organizations on clinic coordination and management
- Manage logistical and administrative elements of in-person and virtual teaching programs to ensure effective delivery of pro bono and nonprofit management curriculum
- Support curriculum and resource development, including case studies and research on new pro bono models and technology, for Pro Bono Consulting teaching programs
- Coordinate and schedule convenings of diverse pro bono stakeholders, including legal services organizations, law firms, corporate legal departments, and foundations
- Track expenses for Pro Bono Consulting convenings, meetings, and events
- Help to develop a project management database and conduct data entry related to Pro Bono Justice Consulting projects
- Use evaluation data, human centered design, and principles of equity and inclusion to collaborate on iteration of growing Pro Bono Consulting work
Pro Bono Clinic Coordination and Staffing (approximately 10%)
- Coordinate logistical elements of mobile legal clinics, including transportation, meals, and/or lodging for overnight trips
- Coordinate logistical elements of mobile legal clinics
- Update OneJustice’s attorneys on development and planning benchmarks for mobile legal clinics
- Attend mobile legal clinics, and provide administrative support during legal clinics
Pro Bono Convenings Support (approximately 20%)
- Manage coordination and scheduling of quarterly Bay Area Pro Bono Managers Meetings, online Joint Pro Bono Managers Forum, and annual California Pro Bono Conference
- Track new and emerging innovative pro bono projects within California to highlight and share with California’s greater pro bono community
- Manage and maintain internal database of key California pro bono contacts
- BA/BS or Associate’s Degree, or at least 2 years of relevant work experience
- Spanish language ability preferred, but not required
- Previous experience working with low-income and/or underserved communities preferred
- Project management and/or event coordination experience
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to successfully work on multiple projects
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to write/edit well and produce quality publications
- Commitment to using the values of equity and inclusion as a framework to closing “the justice gap”
- Enthusiasm and ability to envision and implement new projects
- Familiarity with Google products and Microsoft Word, Excel, and other applications
- Familiarity with website platforms, like WordPress and Squarespace preferred, but not required
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
Salary & Benefits:
- Starting salary for a Program Associate position is $41,065, with increases possible for each year of prior directly relevant professional experience, as dictated by the OneJustice salary scale
- Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), life and disability insurance, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, and holidays – including a full week off during the winter holidays)
- OneJustice also offers a flexible spending account for qualified health and commute expenditures
- Opportunity to learn the legal aid landscape in California
- Professional development support including annual professional development plan and stipend
- A supportive, team-based environment that allows you to take an early lead on projects
To apply, please visit: https://onejustice.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=21
Applications must be received by April 21, 2019. The ideal start date is in late May 2019.
In the online application system above, be prepared to submit the following information: (1) a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position and describing relevant work and/or volunteer experience; (2) your resume; (3) three references; and (4) a response to following question in your cover letter:
OneJustice serves highly diverse communities both in terms of our clients and in the broader legal services sector. To ensure that our agency is best positioned to serve these communities, OneJustice strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with our communities. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients and nonprofits and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. Please address in your cover letter how your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural competency and diversity amongst our staff. Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
To promote social justice and best serve our various communities, OneJustice is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing culturally competent services. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups, as well as bilingual and bicultural candidates, to apply.