WHO WE ARE
For over 50 years, CCLS has been representing and advocating for low-income individuals in Merced, Tuolumne, Mariposa, Fresno, Tulare, and Kings Counties—a region where intense poverty exists side by side with unparalleled wealth and abundance. Our mission is to provide high quality, no-cost civil legal services to low income individuals, families, and communities—improving the wellbeing of our Valley through systems-changing advocacy, client education, and legal work that meets individual clients’ immediate needs. We also work closely with agencies and community organizations that share our commitment to support our clients in being their own agents of change.
Under supervision of the Director of Litigation, Advocacy & Training, the legal secretary will work with Pro Bono Program (PBP) staff to expand recruitment and use of volunteer attorneys enabling CCLS to increase the provision of high-quality services to clients.
PRO BONO PROGRAM: The Pro Bono Program (PBP), a project of CCLS, encourages private attorneys to donate legal services through its organized clinics, special projects, and direct client representation. PBP provides case management, litigation support, training, and co-counseling for private-practice volunteer attorneys handling pro bono cases. PBP serves clients in multiple areas of civil law consistent with CCLS program priorities.
Position: Legal Secretary
Experience: 2+ Years Experience
Location: Fresno Office
Term of Employment: Regular, Full Time
Other: FLSA Non-Exempt, Union Position
Salary Range: $15.64 – $26.14 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Applications should be received by TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2022 to be considered for the first round of interviews.
CCLS is an equal opportunity employer: we value equity, inclusion, and diversity, across all races, cultures, classes, ages, religions, gender identities and presentations, sexual orientations, body sizes, family structures, abilities, and all categories protected by law. We encourage all interested individuals to apply. CCLS is subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement.
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit https://www.centralcallegal.org/careers/ to submit an online application and join our CCLS family in an effort to Advance Justice & Empower People.
- Direct Online Application: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/1255142/Central-California-Legal-Services-Inc/CCLS-Pro-Bono-Program-Legal-Secretary
- Cover Letter addressing the following questions:
- Please tell us briefly about your experience, if any, working in a law office. What were the two most important things you learned about how legal advocates help clients who are experiencing life altering issues?
- Have you ever used Spanish language skills to interpret between English and Spanish for a monolingual Spanish-speaking person? What did you learn from that experience?
- Tell us about your connection to the Central Valley: how well do you know it? Do you have ties here? What draws you here?
- Do you have particular interest in being a Legal Aid employee? If so, please tell us about that.
- Three Professional References
- Provide project support to staff and core team members including a comprehensive program assessment and achievement of identified project goals;
- Assist with the identification and analysis of systemic issues through review of program data;
- Assist with pro bono case placement, case status updates, and volunteer time reporting;
- Communicate and interface with other staff advocates, pro bono attorneys and community partner groups;
- Work directly with CCLS clients for clinic registration, finalizing intakes, executing attestations and retainers;
- Contribute in identifying client groups, community-based organization, other service providers, pro bono attorneys and others for participation in the program, which may include being proactive in community outreach and educational events;
- Maintain calendars for the PBP Supervising Attorney and staff attorneys, in addition to other general administrative duties;
- Assist in collecting project data and the completion of periodic project reports;
- Coordinate outreach events and legal clinics;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least two years prior secretarial experience or equivalent experience;
- Legal Secretary certification or diploma from an accredited school or equivalent work experience;
- Ability to type at least 45 words per minute;
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in the needs and legal rights of low-income people;
- Highly organized with strong interpersonal communication and writing skills;
- Ability to develop and foster cooperative and productive relationship with clients, staff, community groups, private attorneys and other key justice community stakeholders;
- Commitment to team work, with the ability to work independently to achieve project goals;
- Strong computer and database skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint) and the ability to learn case management software (Legal Server);
- Must understand and follow CCLS and grant project policies and procedures;
- Ability to conduct interviews, legal research, analytical reasoning ability and problem solving;
- Must work effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations including ability to provide leadership within a culturally diverse environment;
- Bilingual ability highly preferred (Spanish/English, Hmong/English);
- Reliable transportation, a valid CA Drivers’ License with appropriate car insurance.
CCLS MANDATORY VACCINATION POLICY
Please note that CCLS currently requires all staff to be fully vaccinated and to have at least one booster (if eligible). Medical and religious exemptions to this requirement are also available.
CCLS BENEFITS PACKAGE OVERVIEW:
- 7.5 hour work day / 37.5 hour week
- 14.5 Paid Holidays
- Free wellness counseling & resources
- Union protection for applicable positions
Rewards for Dedication
- Annual pay increases
- Overtime for Hourly/Non-exempt staff
- Compensatory Time for Salaried/Exempt staff
More than Base Pay
- School Loan Assistance up to $500/month
- Bilingual Pay up to $90/month
- Home internet reimbursement of $25/month
- CCLS issued laptop & cell phone
- CA State Bar dues paid in full
- Mileage reimbursement
- CCLS contributes to staff 403(b) plans starting at the one-year anniversary:
o Year 1 to 2 – 1% of salary contributed
o Year 2 to 3 – 2% of salary contributed
o Year 3 to 4 – 3% of salary contributed
o Year 4 to 5 – 4% of salary contributed
o Year 5+ – 5% of salary contributed
Group Health Insurance
- Coverage begins 1st of the month following hire date
- CCLS pays 100% for staff health insurance coverage
- CCLS pays 67% of staff dependent health insurance coverage
- Low-Cost Plans for:
o Dental PPO & Vision Insurance
o Long term disability & life insurance
o Workers Compensation coverage
Cash Out Options
- Vacation Cash Out:
o Accrued vacation cashed out & added to paycheck upon request
- Compensatory Time Cash Out (Exempt Staff):
o Accrued comp time cashed out & added to paycheck upon request
- Comp time over 75 hours paid out automatically
- Overtime Pay Out (Non-Exempt Staff):
o OT paid out within 30 days of accrual, per State standards
Computer Loan Fund
- Up to $1,500 interest free loan to assist staff with personal computer purchase
State Bar Exam Leave & Loan
- Protected leave for CA Bar Exam
- Interest-free loan for Bar Exam & study course fees
- Up to 8 weeks salary advance