POSITION: Pro Bono Coordinator
SUPERVISOR: Director of Pro Bono
WAGE RANGE: Depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full time, Exempt
LOCATION: Various Offices
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Legal Aid Society of Orange County (LASOC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County, where it is known as Community Legal Services (CLS). Legal Aid Society of Orange County (LASOC) seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective Pro Bono Coordinator to provide support to the Director of Pro Bono to attain the following goals:
1) generate additional pro bono legal resources to augment LASOC’s advocacy efforts;
2) reinforce LASOC’s support base in the private bar by facilitating outside involvement in our mission;
3) develop innovative pro bono programs and initiatives; and
4) position LASOC‐CLS as an integral part of a “community of justice” of legal services providers, social service agencies, community‐based organizations, educators, judges, and individuals working together to achieve equal justice.
• Assist in recruiting law firms for collaboration in pro bono partnerships;
• Make presentations to potential project partners;
• Coordinate in-person trainings and develop online training tools for pro bono volunteers;
• Gather case information to develop case descriptions and distribute information about pro bono opportunities;
• Facilitate placement of cases with a pro bono providers;
• Provide support to volunteer attorneys and manage all aspects of collaborative projects;
• Assist with ongoing projects with corporate partners;
• Match volunteer attorneys with mentors, where appropriate;
• Assist Director of Pro Bono in building staff systems and culture;
• Participate in networking and outreach events;
• Assist in volunteer recognition efforts, including event planning;
• Research community resources and create Databank;
• Manage data collection, reporting and evaluation of pro bono efforts;
• Work with area law firms, private practices and others to cultivate a strong network of pro bono providers, and;
• Perform administrative tasks and other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and with external community contacts;
• Comfort in interacting with private attorneys, public service attorneys, judges and court personnel, as well as with public speaking;
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, with colleagues and members of the communities we serve;
• Enthusiasm for working with the population who normally would not be able to afford an attorney;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, computer skills and problem-solving skills; attention to detail;
• Proficiency with standard office software such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
• Comfort with technology and the ability and willingness to learn new software applications to develop video and interactive online content;
• Comfort with the use of social media, and;
• Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, active insurance policy and ability to travel frequently in and around the service area to engage with clients and community partners.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree and experience with legal services provider or non-profit organization; Juris Doctor Degree desirable but not required.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Jessica Flowers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
The Legal Aid Society of Orange County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.