Patients’ Rights Advocate
Metropolitan State Hospital; Norwalk, CA
DEADLINE: Open until filled. Applications should be received by July 20, 2020, to be
considered for the first round of interviews.
SALARY RANGE (Depending on Experience): $25.67- $28.30 hourly
FTE: 80% ; 30 hours
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) is a statewide, non-profit legal organization dedicated to
advancing the rights of Californians with disabilities. DRC works to achieve fairness and
justice for people with disabilities through individual and impact litigation, state and federal
policy and regulatory advocacy, and community education and training.
California Office of Patients’ Rights (COPR)
COPR is contracted by the Department of State Hospitals and working with Department of
Healthcare Services to ensure that the treatment and legal rights of people receiving mental
health treatment are maintained.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Patients’ Rights Advocate (PRA) provides advocacy services to, and investigates
complaints regarding abuse and denials of rights of, state hospital patients, provides trainings
to both the hospital staff and residents, and represents patients at hearings on site involving
involuntary medication or at other due process hearings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. Four years direct life experience as a mental health
consumer or four years’ experience as a consumer advocate may be substituted in lieu of the
Bachelor’s Degree (i.e., social work, counseling, self-help).
- Two years’ experience as a consumer advocate within the social, human service,
government, or health care environment. (If using experience in lieu of Bachelor’s degree,
this qualification has been met).
- Working knowledge and understanding of the mental health and criminal justice
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Word/Windows or comparable word processing program
on a personal computer.
- Experience working with and a sensitivity to the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Experience working with and a sensitivity to persons from multi-ethnic communities.
Working at DRC is more than just a job – it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at
while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a generous benefit package.
To view the detailed job description and complete the application process visit here.