California Office of Patients’ Rights
Location: Napa State Hospital
Individuals who are Deaf or Disabled are encouraged to apply.
SALARY RANGE (Depending on Experience): $27.47-$28.84 hr
We base salary and position offers on experience and an internal equity analysis.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-time (30 hours); Non-exempt; Regular
EXCELLENT BENEFITS including 8% 401k Match, a language differential up to $250/mo. Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) – eligible employment.
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) defends, advances, and strengthens the rights and opportunities of people with disabilities.
DRC works for a world where all disabled people have power and are treated with dignity and respect. In this world, people with disabilities are supported, valued, included in their communities, afforded the same opportunities as people without disabilities, and make their own decisions.
DRC values all forms of human diversity. We are committed to a culture of belonging where all people are welcome. In order to be effective advocates for all people with disabilities, we must address discrimination in all its forms, including the unique challenges faced by people who experience the intersection of multiple systems of discrimination.
California Office of Patients’ Rights (COPR)
COPR is contracted by the Department of State Hospitals and working with Department of Healthcare Services to ensure that the treatment and legal rights of people receiving mental health treatment are maintained.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Patients’ Rights Advocate (PRA) provides advocacy services to, and investigates complaints regarding abuse and denials of rights of, state hospital patients, provides trainings to both the hospital staff and residents, and represents patients at hearings on site involving involuntary medication or at other due process hearings.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. Four years direct life experience as a mental health consumer or four years’ experience as a consumer advocate may be substituted in lieu of the Bachelor’s Degree (i.e., social work, counseling, self-help).
- Two years’ experience as a consumer advocate within the social, human service, government, or health care environment. (If using experience in lieu of Bachelor’s degree, this qualification has been met).
- Working knowledge and understanding of the mental health and criminal justice systems.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Word/Windows or comparable word processing program on a personal computer.
- Experience working with and a sensitivity to the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Experience working with and a sensitivity to persons from multi-ethnic communities.
Licenses / Certificates
This position has no licenses or certificates requirements.
– Experience in direct advocacy for persons with psychiatric disabilities.
– A working knowledge of the legal, civil and service rights of persons with psychiatric disabilities in California.
– Ability to speak Spanish or an Asian language, or American Sign Language (ASL).
– Experience with the mental health system as a current or former consumer/or with family member, significant other.
– Contacts with disability organizations and/or within disability communities.
– Contacts with multi-ethnic organizations and/or within multi-ethnic communities.
The following describes general working conditions and requirements of the job, which can be performed with or without disability related reasonable accommodations. Duties are performed in a two-person or shared office environment. Walking inside and outside of buildings to observe resident living environments and provide direct advocacy services. Duties regularly require sitting using computer equipment and talking or hearing. Duties occasional require periods of standing, stooping, kneeling, and crouching primarily related to processing paperwork. Weights to be lifted and/or moved of filing boxes and other packages up to 25 pounds are occasionally encountered.
Working at DRC is more than just a job – it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a generous benefit package. To view the detailed job description and complete the application process here.