PARALEGAL – TENANT’S RIGHTS & ELDER LAW
|CLASSIFICATION: Paralegal||SALARY: $40,000+ DOE|
|DEPARTMENT: Homelessness Prevention||FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt|
|REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney||APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled|
Bet Tzedek seeks a full-time staff paralegal for its Rapid Response Project. The project involves the provision of legal services to low and moderate income members living or working in the Beverly Hills area with housing issues, including advice and representation concerning the rent stabilization sections of the Beverly Hills Municipal Code, as well as providing legal services to moderate and low income seniors on a wide range of civil legal matters, including government benefits, consumer issues, debtors’ rights, and advance planning. This paralegal will be an integral part of the larger homelessness prevention and community outreach team, working to interview clients, engage in factual investigation, prepare court documents and paperwork, and in some instances negotiate with opposing parties.
- Conduct client intake and follow-up client interviews.
- Assist with factual investigation of cases.
- Draft court filings, including court forms, pleadings, and trial documents.
- Provide administrative case advocacy.
- Work with staff attorneys to prepare matters for hearings and trial.
- Help facilitate the placement of matters with volunteer attorneys for purposes of pro bono client representation.
- Help facilitate in-house volunteer work on matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Non-profit legal services experience (preferred).
- Experience in housing law, in particular unlawful detainer, eviction, and preservation of affordable housing (preferred).
- Experience with poverty law issues including matters such as public benefits, employment law, and other areas of law impacting individuals’ housing (preferred).
- Demonstrate an understanding and commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission of equal justice for all and Bet Tzedek’s core values of leadership, community-based advocacy, and innovation.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Email letter of interest, minimum salary requirement, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Subject: “PARALEGAL”)
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained. To best serve our communities, Bet Tzedek seeks diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.
Bet Tzedek Legal Services 3250 Wilshire Blvd. 13th Floor Los Angeles, CA 90010-1577
main: (323) 939-0506 • fax: (213) 471-4568 • www.bettzedek.org