Inner City Law Center (ICLC) is a nonprofit law firm on Skid Row in Downtown Los Angeles. We are looking for extraordinary people to help us end homelessness in Los Angeles. Founded on the fundamental principle that every person should always be treated with dignity and respect, ICLC fights for justice for low-income tenants, working-poor families, people who have disabilities or are experiencing homelessness, people living with HIV/AIDS, and homeless veterans.
The Paralegal supports the attorneys, other paralegals, and directors of the Tenant Defense Project by being the point of contact for clients, collecting and reviewing documents, helping to identify various legal issues, managing deadlines, drafting and filing documents, interacting with government agencies and other organizations, maintaining case files and documents, screening potential clients for eligibility and assisting with administrative and clerical duties.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Overall Coordination
- Assisting with team members’ schedules and deadlines
- Working closely with other team paralegals to advise and implement team procedures and systems
- Setting up for large team trainings or meetings
- Reserving conference rooms
- Client Interactions
- Screening for eligibility
- Intaking clients
- Collecting evidence and drafting discovery
- Visiting clients in their homes when needed
- Working closely with attorneys and other team paralegals to assess client needs and provide referrals as appropriate
- Legal Support
- Entering data in ICLC’s case management system
- Creating and maintaining client files
- Interpreting and translating
- Drafting and preparing pleadings, correspondence and discovery requests and responses under the supervision of an attorney
- Completing standard legal forms
- Registering attorneys for virtual court appearances and maintaining the team court appearance calendar
- Filing court documents and troubleshooting filing issues
- Maintaining reports related to the team’s activity and outcomes
- Preparing reports upon the request of funders or supervisor
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Hiring Criteria: Commitment to public interest work and the mission of the organization. Comfortable working with all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. Proven ability to handle complex situations, balance multiple responsibilities and competing priorities. Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, coordinate and direct multiple projects and activities with varied deadlines. Ideal candidate would have at least three years relevant experience. Written and oral Spanish language proficiency required.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
How to Apply: Cover letters and resumes are reviewed upon receipt and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please submit your resume and cover on BambooHR. Applications will not be considered if both resume and cover letter are not provided.
Here at Inner City Law Center we offer excellent benefits (medical, dental and vision insurance), an excellent compensation package, 401k plan, paid lunches, paid time off, and more!