PARALEGAL/SENIOR PARALEGAL – Asian Pacific Islander (API) Community Outreach Project
POSITION: PARALEGAL/SENIOR PARALEGAL – Asian Pacific Islander (API) Community Outreach Project
LOCATION: Ron Olson Justice Center
SALARY: $39,037 to $56,787/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Workgroup: The Asian & Pacific Islander (API) Community Outreach Project provides linguistically accessible, culturally intelligent, trauma-informed help to API clients in their preferred language, with access to all LAFLA services.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Paralegal or Senior Paralegal.
*NOTE – This position is currently funded using designated funds: there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond June 2021.
- A four (4) year degree or Paralegal Certificate;
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience preferred
- Ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers, students, attorneys, and community members;
- Experience conducting outreach to community based organizations and immigrant communities;
- Demonstrated knowledge of employment law, unemployment benefits, and/or government benefits;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Organized, with ability to work on high-volume caseload;
- Comfortable with case management systems and other technology;
- Ability to travel to clinic location(s); and
- Bilingual in Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Vietnamese, or other Asian language strongly preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assist with client screening and intake regarding unemployment benefits applications and appeals;
- Interview and counsel clients;
- Assist clients with preparing unemployment benefits applications and appeals;
- Provide direct legal services in conjunction with API attorney(s) in cases that involve employment law, unemployment benefits, and/or government benefits;
- Participate in clinics and other community outreach projects; and
- Other duties as assigned.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Eligible employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Paralegal-API (Unemployment Benefits)” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A nine-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.