POSITION: Paralegal – Self-Help Conservatorship Clinic
CLASSIFICATION: Union – Non-Exempt
SALARY: $50,000+ DOE/DOQ
REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
About Bet Tzedek:
Bet Tzedek, the House of Justice offers free self-help services to pro per litigants filing Conservatorship Petitions through its Self-Help Conservatorship Clinic. A stunning achievement in the effort to provide access to justice to those in need, the Clinic assists thousands of litigants to successfully maneuver this complex court process each year by helping prepare, file, and complete service of process on nearly 70% of all conservatorship matters filed in Los Angeles County. Bet Tzedek is seeking an ambitious, highly organized, and creative individual to serve as one of two paralegals coordinating the Self-Help Conservatorship Clinic.
- Coordinate, conduct, and supervise clinics at various sites in Los Angeles County at which self-represented litigants are assisted with preparing limited and general conservatorship petitions;
- Work with the Clinic team to ensure the high volume of clinic petitions are properly prepared and timely filed;
- Work with the Pro Bono Department to help recruit, train, and supervise a high volume of volunteers to assist with various Clinic tasks;
- Assist in the preparation of educational materials as needed; and
- Work collaboratively with Clinic partners, including the Superior Court, probate attorneys, investigators, judges, and organizations hosting Clinic sites.
- Demonstrated competency in public speaking and strong interpersonal skills required;
- Spanish-language proficiency (spoken and written) required;
- Demonstrated commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission required with previous experience working with low-income and/or underserved communities preferred;
- Demonstrated interest in the care and/or welfare of dependent adults preferred; and
- Experience supervising and coordinating volunteers preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
- Email letter of interest, resume, and minimum salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Subject: “ Self-help Conservatorship Clinic Paralegal”)
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained.
To best serve our community Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.