POSITION: Paralegal- Restoring Communities (DOORS Reentry Project)
LOCATION: South Los Angeles*
SALARY: $40,000-$54,434/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Project: The Restoring Communities Workgroup provides legal assistance to reentry individuals in various substantive areas including but not limited to housing, benefits, and criminal justice-related issues, so people can have a fresh start and better access to work and housing opportunities. This position will be co-located at the DOORS Community Reentry Center in South Los Angeles and require working collaboratively with community-based organizations and county agencies to provide holistic services to re-entry individuals.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Paralegal.
NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. The position is funded thru May 2022 with a possibility of extension.
- A four (4) year degree preferred;
- Paralegal certificate or one (1) year relevant work experience;
- Experience in providing assistance to clients who have been in the criminal justice system;
- Experience with clean slate work such as petitions to dismiss criminal records, Prop 47, and Prop 64;
- General knowledge of eviction defense, government benefits, family law or child support preferred;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Organized, with ability to work on high-volume caseload;
- Ability to be flexible in job duties; and
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Conduct client screening and intake;
- Prepare legal forms for clients;
- Work in conjunction with the staff attorney in cases that involve housing, immigration, family, and/or government benefits law, and other criminal related legal issues;
- Assist with developing educational materials and coordinating community outreach activities;
- Participate in clinics and other community outreach projects;
- Perform general administrative tasks including data entry for case management;
- Perform work in compliance with grant reporting purposes; and
- Other duties as assigned.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend. Please visit https://lafla.org/get-involved/careers/ for our salary scale for union, non-management staff.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Paralegal-Restoring Communities (DOORS Project)” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A nine-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.