Paralegal- Renters Small Claims Project
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Project: Renters Small Claims Project: This is a new project meant to address an unmet need Los Angeles renters have regarding both small claims defense to landlord unpaid rent claims created by AB 3088, and renters’ small claims suits for unreturned security deposits, habitability issues and other unlawful landlord practices.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Paralegal.
NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond December 31, 2023.
- A four (4) year degree or Paralegal Certificate;
- One (1) year relevant work experience preferred;
- Experience in providing assistance to low-income or homeless individuals, including interviewing;
- Experience working in diverse poverty law issues preferred;
- Some knowledge of housing law or small claims process preferred;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Organized, with ability to work on high-volume caseload;
- Ability to be flexible in job duties; and
- Bilingual in Spanish or another language preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Work in conjunction with a staff attorney;
- Assist in the creation of educational materials;
- Administratively run, and participate in workshops, clinics and outreach events;
- Interview and counsel clients on small claims process;
- Work closely with pro bono department and volunteers; and
- Other duties as assigned.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOWTO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Paralegal-Renters Small Claim Project” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A nine-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
POSITION: Paralegal- Renters Small Claims Project
SALARY: $39,037 to $43,450/ DOE with excellent benefits
AVAILABILITY: January 1, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.