PARALEGAL – PREVENTING AND ENDING HOMELESSNESS PROJECT
CLASSIFICATION: Paralegal, (Union)
SALARY: $43,000+ DOQ
FLSA STATUS: Overtime Eligible
REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney
APPLICATION DEADLINE: until filled
For 45 years, Bet Tzedek Legal Services has provided high-quality, free legal services to Los Angeles’ most vulnerable residents. Core among those services is its Preventing and Ending Homelessness project (PEHP), which provides direct services to clients experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness. Bet Tzedek seeks a paralegal to provide legal administrative support, including maintaining client records, scheduling client appointments, preparing pleadings and discovery, and processing and filing legal notices. This key team member will also help compile project statistics and other administrative duties.
- Prepare and type legal and administrative correspondence and documents.
- Clearly and professionally communicate with clients, and, if necessary, opposing counsel, courts, agencies, and the general public.
- Complete and generate court forms for filing.
- Coordinate service of appropriate documents.
- Maintain well organized legal files and accurate case statistics.
- Assist with the administrative aspects of opening and closing files.
- Timely entry of case and client information into legal database.
- Provide other general administrative support as requested.
- Assist walk-in clients or delivery/service personnel as needed.
- Paralegal certification, AA/AS or BA/BS highly preferred. • Experience in state court systems, including state court e-filing systems.
- At least 5 years of law firm experience supporting multiple attorneys, preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of legal terminology, court rules, and procedures preferred.
- Bilingual and biliterate in both English and Spanish required.
- Proficiency with the Internet and Web based applications.
- MS Office and legal database (Lexis/Nexis) proficiency required.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Email letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained.
To best serve our communities, Bet Tzedek seeks diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.