POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT –
POSTING DATE: 05/02/2022
Paralegal – Preventing and Ending Homeless Project (PEHP)
|CLASSIFICATION: Paralegal I (Union)||SALARY: $51,102.10+DOQ|
|DEPARTMENT: PEHP Project||FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt|
|REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney||APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until filled|
For nearly 50 years, Bet Tzedek Legal Services has provided high-quality, free legal services to Los Angeles’ most vulnerable residents. In that tradition, Bet Tzedek is seeking a paralegal to join our Preventing and Ending Homelessness Project (PEHP). The project aims to prevent homelessness by providing litigation-based direct services to residential tenants facing eviction or other rental housing disputes.
- Complete client intake
- Support a high-volume caseload that include delivering advice and counsel in landlord-tenant matters and eviction defense under the supervision of an attorney;
- Prepare court forms and case documents under the supervision of an attorney;
- Support attorneys with discovery requests, including assisting with drafting, serving, and preparing responses to interrogatories, requests for production, and requests for admissions, as well as helping attorneys arrange for depositions;
- File documents with the courts;
- Maintain well-organized digital case files and accurate case statistics;
- Assist with outreach and education efforts, including delivering “Know Your Rights” presentations;
- Assist with administrative and clerical duties such as communicating with clients, calendaring, e-filing, and opening and closing digital case files; and
- Other assignments as deemed appropriate.
- A paralegal certificate/degree in paralegal studies from an ABA-approved institution OR bachelor’s degree and at least 1 year of law-related experience under the supervision of an attorney who has been an active member of the California bar for the preceding 3 years (required);
- Experience in state court systems, including state court e-filing systems (required);
- Thorough knowledge of legal terminology, court rules, and procedures (required);
- Proficiency with internet and web-based applications (required);
- MS Office and legal database (Lexis/Nexis, Westlaw, Legal Server, NetDocs, Adobe Pro, OneLegal) proficiency (highly preferred);
- At least 2 years of law firm experience supporting multiple attorneys (preferred);
- Knowledge and experience in landlord-tenant law, eviction defense, or similar practice areas related to housing or homelessness (preferred);
- Demonstrated commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission to provide free legal services to those who need them most (required); and
- Demonstrated commitment to applying principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in performance of job duties (required).
HOW TO APPLY:
- Email letter of interest and resume firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: “Paralegal – PEHP”)
Note: All positions are subject to funding; ongoing funding or employment cannot be assured.
To best serve our communities Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.