||Full-time Paralegal –Housing and Homelessness Prevention Unit
|| The Public Law Center (PLC), Orange County’s pro bono law firm, is committed to providing access to justice for low-income residents. Through volunteers and staff, PLC provides free civil legal services, including counseling, individual representation, community education, and strategic litigation and advocacy to challenge societal injustices. Now in its 38th year of service, PLC works with more than 1,500 volunteer lawyers, paralegals and law students from throughout the county who volunteer their time and expertise.
PLC is seeking a paralegal to work with its Housing and Homelessness prevention unit as it expands the services provided to low-income and underserved tenants throughout Orange County.
- Paralegal certificate or an equivalent level of training
- At least 2 years’ work experience as a paralegal or legal assistant
- Bilingual English/Spanish required
- Experience in eviction defense and/or housing law preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income communities
- Strong research, writing and communication skills
- Detail-oriented, organized and ability to multi-task
- Team-player with strong interpersonal skills who can also work independently
- Must have own transportation, valid CA Driver’s license, insurance and good driving record
|Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative and organizational support in individual and impact cases, as well as in community education efforts
- Conduct initial client intakes, including legal issue-spotting, conflict check and eligibility determination
- Perform general case management, including correspondence, preparation of documents and legal forms, legal research and hearing preparation
- Investigate clients’ cases, including inspection of housing units and obtaining and reviewing documents and records from government agencies
- Under attorney supervision, convey legal information and approved legal advice
- Assist with interpretation and translation for staff and volunteer attorneys as needed
- Collect and compile data to meet grant deliverables and reporting requirements
- Provide general administrative support to the office, filling in where needed
- Other duties as assigned
|Salary & Benefits
- Compensation dependent on experience; range of $15.00/hour to $18.00/hour
- Competitive benefits provided
||Please submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (10 pages or less) to Grace Landa at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
The Public Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.