PARALEGAL/ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (HOUSING)
The Law Foundation of Silicon Valley advances the rights of underrepresented individuals and families in our diverse community through legal services, strategic advocacy, and educational outreach. Now with over 90 employees, the Law Foundation is the largest provider of free legal services in the South Bay. Located in downtown San Jose, the Law Foundation is dynamic interesting place to work. We pride ourselves on fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative and fun, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth. We are working towards a race – conscious legal services practice.
The Law Foundation of Silicon Valley is seeking a full-time paralegal/administrative assistance for its Housing Department. The Law Foundation is focused on the prevention of displacement of low-income individuals and communities of color through both direct legal services, including unlawful detainer defense, and system change work, including impact litigation and policy advocacy.
The Paralegal/Administrative Assistant will support the work of attorneys in a at the Law Foundation who represent tenants in eviction Court and other Court proceeding. The Paralegal/Administrative Assistant will work in fast-paced environment, and will help manage the organization of physical and electronic case files. The Paralegal/Administrative Assistant will prepare legal documents for attorneys, may file documents, and will maintain a calendaring system for cases. The Paralegal/Administrative Assistant may assist with other administrative duties, may help with interpretation, and may help with grant reporting. The ideal candidate will have a passion for social justice, be able to work with multiple individuals, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Provide administrative and litigation support to attorneys and advocates including case file maintenance and filing documents with the court;
- Preparing legal documents;
- Creating and maintaining a calendar system for cases;
- Filing (E-filing) and service of Court documents;
- Running and creating reports;
- Other administrative tasks such as interpretation or help with grant reporting.
- Paralegal certificate preferred
- Experience with legal case management, case filing, e-filing, and service
- Handling of detail-oriented administrative tasks
- Ability to interact professionally with office staff, clients, court staff and community partners
- Function independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage and maintain a calendar
- Ability to manage and main case files, both physical files and electronic files
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task and take direction from multiple sources
- Experience working with individuals from multi-ethnic communities
- Experience using Microsoft Office: Access, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- California Driver’s License preferred, good driving record
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish or Vietnamese is preferred
- Frequent use of computer keyboard
- Use of office equipment, such as copier, printer, and fax
Salary scale starts at $26.10/hour; compensation on comparable experience. All compensation determined by the wage table of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement between SEIU Local 521 and LFSV. Excellent benefits provided, including paid holidays, vacation, health insurance and 401(k). More information regarding the Law Foundation is available on our website: www.lawfoundation.org.
REMOTE WORK POLICY
Due to COVID-19, the Law Foundation is primarily working remotely through the end of 2021, although staff may be required to attend in-person court hearings, meetings, outreaches, and clinics. The team is currently exploring ways to support continuing flexibility for remote work and expects that most staff will have the opportunity to work remotely for some of their work week after 2021.
The Law Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage people of color, women, people living with disabilities, older people, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people to apply. It is the policy of the Law Foundation to prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, medical condition or genetic information, veteran status, national origin, disability, marital or other protected status. The Law Foundation will conform to the spirit, as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled. Please submit the following videomail to email@example.com: (1) a resume, (2) at least three professional references, and (3) a cover letter that explains your interest and also addresses the question below.
In order to best serve our clients and our community, the Law Foundation is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How has your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, prepared you to contribute to social justice, race equity and diversity among our staff?