|Position||Paralegal or Administrative Assistant – Consumer Law and Community Organizations Legal Assistance Project|
|Organization Description||The Public Law Center (PLC)’s Consumer Law and Community Economic Development Projects seeks an energetic, passionate advocate to join our team in fighting for justice for low-income and self-represented litigants and entrepreneurs in Orange County through innovative, collaborative, community-centered lawyering to address inequities and support community economic development.
PLC’s Consumer Law and Community Organizations Legal Assistance Projects (COLAP) provide high quality direct representation, in addition to coordinating and supervising pro bono representation, to low-income consumers and small business owners, as well as local nonprofit organizations. Consumer law legal issues include debt collection, bankruptcy, student loans, predatory lending, and elder financial abuse. COLAP issues include business formation, employment law, business structure and other transactional issues. The Units also participate in community-based self-help and intake clinics, community education, and local and statewide advocacy.
|Qualifications||· Paralegal certificate or an equivalent level of training preferred
· Bilingual English/Spanish required
· 1-3 years work experience as a paralegal or legal assistant, with experience in consumer law, litigation, and/or small business development a plus
· Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income communities
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently, and as part of a team.
· Must have own transportation, valid CA Driver’s license, insurance and good
· Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless the applicant has a valid medical reason for not being fully vaccinated or a sincerely held religious belief preventing vaccination
|Duties and Responsibilities||· Conduct initial client intakes, including legal issue-spotting, conflict check and eligibility determination
· Perform general case management, including correspondence, preparation of documents and legal forms, legal research and hearing preparation, in individual and impact cases
· Provide administrative and organizational support in community education efforts.
· Under attorney supervision, convey legal information and approved legal advice
· Assist with interpretation and translation for staff and volunteer attorneys as needed
· Provide general administrative support to the office, filling in where needed
· Other duties as assigned
|Salary & Benefits||· Compensation dependent on experience; range of $16.00/hour to $19.00/hour
· Competitive benefits provided
|Please submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (5 pages or less) to Grace Landa at: email@example.com. Please no phone calls.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
The Public Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
601 Civic Center Drive West ∙ Santa Ana, CA 92701-4002 ∙ (714) 541-1010 ext. 272 ∙ Fax (714) 541-5157