POSITION: Managing Attorney
LOCATION: Santa Maria, CA
HOURS: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week (Exempt)
REPORTS TO: Director of Litigation
ABOUT US: The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County (LAFSBC) is a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance to Santa Barbara County residents. Our mission is to provide high-quality civil legal services to low-income and other vulnerable residents in order to ensure equal access to justice. We change lives through direct representation, legal advice and information, and community education. Our vision is a community where low-income people and other vulnerable residents are empowered to thrive and where all residents have
meaningful access to the civil justice system. The LAFSBC offices are located in Santa Maria, Lompoc, and Santa Barbara. We also staff the Santa Barbara Superior Court self-help centers, known as the Legal Resource Centers.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County has an immediate opening for a Managing Attorney for our Santa Maria office. The position is primarily funded through the Sargent Shriver Civil Counsel Act, which targets cases involving critical legal issues that affect basic human needs such as housing, conservatorship, and guardianship. The Shriver program strives to ensure meaningful access to justice for low-income litigants in Northern Santa Barbara County. The attorney provides legal counsel, advice, and representation to low-income individuals facing eviction or other landlord-tenant issues, guardianship of the person and conservatorships of the person based on procedural stance and priorities of each matter. The attorney also oversees the operations of the Santa Maria office, which includes two other attorneys and support staff, and serves as a leader for the organization within the Santa Maria community. Prior supervisory experience will be valuable.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: conducting client interviews; providing advice and counsel; representing clients at all stages of litigation; providing education and outreach efforts; supervising the Santa Maria attorneys and staff; training support staff, volunteers, or other advocates as needed; maintaining data, records, case files in compliance with funding and programmatic requirements and preparing periodic reports for funders; ensuring team compliance with program and grant requirements; coordinating client services for the office; maintaining effective relations with private bar and various community organizations and funding sources; other duties as assigned.
LOCATION: Santa Maria, CA
NOTE: Due to COVID-19 safety restrictions, LAFSBC staff are primarily working remotely from home. Temporary remote work will be considered, but the expectation is that the position will be based out of our Santa Maria office.
- Admitted to practice law in the State of California;
- At least 5 years of civil legal experience;
- Commitment to the mission of the Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County;
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with other teams, the public, court personnel, government agencies, and partner organizations;
- Ability to work independently in a small office while also working as part of a countywide organization;
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with those who may have educational, language, or other barriers to understanding;
- Ability to use appropriate software in the performance of professional legal work;
- Excellent oral and written advocacy, legal analysis, and legal research skills.
- Supervisory experience;
- Experience in unlawful detainers, housing, or probate guardianship/conservatorship
- Experience working with low-income communities;
- Language: Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred but not required;
- Experience working with a civil legal aid organization or non-profit organization.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid vacation/sick leave/holidays, health/dental/vision insurance (100% coverage for employee and 30% for eligible dependents), and option to participate in 403(b) retirement plan.
Applications will be accepted immediately and until the position is filled but priority consideration will be given to those who apply no later than Friday, October 30, 2020. Please submit 1) cover letter and 2) resume to Jennifer Smith, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line of the email.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partner status, or any other legally protected status. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County is an equal opportunity employer.