LITIGATION SECRETARY – IMPACT LITIGATION UNIT
|CLASSIFICATION: Litigation Secretary (Union Position)||SALARY: $43,000 + DOQ|
|DEPARTMENT: Legal (Impact Litigation & Policy)||FLSA STATUS: Overtime Eligible|
|REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney||APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL FILLED|
For over 40 years, Bet Tzedek Legal Services has provided high-quality, free legal services to Los Angeles’ most vulnerable residents. Core among those services is its Impact Litigation and Policy Unit, which works to bring about system change through class action and multi-plaintiff lawsuits along with policy advocacy. Bet Tzedek’s Impact Litigation and Policy Unit is seeking a litigation secretary to provide legal administrative support, including but not limited to, preparing pleadings and discovery (complaints, answers, demurrers, interrogatories, etc.) from forms and drafts prepared by legal staff and preparing, processing and filing various forms of legal notices; etc. This key member of the unit will also help compile project statistics and will undertake other administrative duties.
- Prepare and type legal and administrative correspondence and documents.
- Clearly and professionally communicate with clients; and, if necessary, opposing counsel, courts, agencies, and the general public.
- Complete and generate court forms for filing.
- Coordinate service of appropriate documents.
- Maintain well organized legal files and accurate case statistics.
- Timely entry of case and client information into legal database.
- Provide other general administrative support as requested.
- Assist walk-in clients or delivery/service personnel as needed.
- Secretarial certification, AA/AS or BA/BS highly preferred.
- Experience with federal and state court systems including federal e-filing and state court online filing systems.
- At least 5 years of law firm experience, supporting multiple attorneys, required.
- Thorough knowledge of legal terminology, court rules, and procedures required.
- CA Notary Certificate preferred.
- Bilingual and biliterate in both English and Spanish required.
- Proficiency with the Internet and Web based applications.
- MS Office and legal database (Lexis/Nexis) proficiency required.
How To Apply:
- Email letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.
To best serve our communities, Bet Tzedek seeks diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.