October 23, 2018
LIBRE Project Coordinator/Benefits Assistor
The Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County (LASSMC) seeks a dynamic and organized person who is passionate about immigrant rights to support the LIBRE program and help families and individuals to access public benefits. LIBRE (Linking Immigrants to Benefits, Resources, and Education) is a growing multi-agency collaboration that offers community outreach and education concerning eligibility for public benefits and immigration-related issues, application assistance, and legal services to access public benefits and immigration relief.
The Project Coordinator/Benefits Assistor will be an employee of LASSMC (www.legalaidsmc.org), a non-profit law firm that has provided free legal services to low-income persons in San Mateo County since 1959. The person will spend half-time at LASSMC supporting public benefits and immigration attorneys, and half-time as a Benefits Assistor based at (and co-supervised by) the Fair Oaks Community Center, a multi-service facility offering a variety of services to the broader Redwood City Community (http://www.redwoodcity.org/departments/parks-recreation-and-community-services/do-you-need-help).
1) Community outreach and trainings, including occasionally on weekends and in the evenings. Some travel within the county is required.
2) Client services. Schedule appointments for LIBRE attorneys; follow up with clients; and enter data on case activities.
3) Interpretation. Help attorneys communicate with Spanish-speaking clients by interpreting in client interviews, telephone calls, and court (certification not required).
4) Administrative support. Assist attorneys with administrative tasks, including copying, mailing, and translation of documents.
5) Contract support. Request data needed for reports from partner agencies; compile report data; assist in drafting contract reports; and ensure timely distribution of funds to subcontractors.
6) Benefits Application Assistance. Respond to inquiries about safety-net benefits; screen potential applicants; help individuals and families apply for benefits; enter case data into databases; track cases to successful approval or resolution; follow up with applicants; and advocate on behalf of applicants as needed.
Required Qualifications: We are looking for a highly motivated, energetic, self-starter who cares about customer satisfaction, enjoys collaborating with community partners, and wants to provide direct services for a diverse, low-income client population. The right candidate can juggle multiple responsibilities, work efficiently and compassionately, use systems to organize data, and has a passion for working with people. They will be comfortable taking the initiative on projects, but will also enjoy supporting the attorneys’ work. Other requirements include:
– A.A. degree or equivalent education and experience
– Spanish fluency (oral and written) and multi-cultural experience
– Excellent communication skills
– Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
– Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
– Access to a car and ability to drive
– Ability to pass background check
– B.A. degree
– Familiarity with public benefits programs (Medi-Cal, CalWORKs, CalFresh, Social Security, SSI)
– Customer service experience
Salary: $20+/hour DOE. Excellent benefits.
To Apply: Submit: 1) a cover letter explaining your interest and how you meet the required job
qualifications and 2) your resume to email@example.com.
LASSMC is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, persons with disabilities, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.