Individuals who are Deaf or Disabled are encouraged to apply.
SALARY RANGE (Depending on Experience):
Legal Support 1 $22.71–$33.23 per hour
Legal Support 2 $24.97-$36.59 per hour
We base salary and position offers on experience and an internal equity analysis.
EXCELLENT BENEFITS including 8% 401k Match, a language differential up to $250/mo. Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) – eligible employment.
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Applications should be received by September 20, 2022 to be considered for the first round of interview.
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) is the Protection & Advocacy (P&A) system for the state of California. DRC defends, advances, and strengthens the rights and opportunities of people with disabilities. DRC works for a world where all disabled people have power and are treated with dignity and respect. In this world, people with disabilities are supported, valued, included in their communities, afforded the same opportunities as people without disabilities, and make their own decisions.
DRC values all forms of human diversity. We are committed to a culture of belonging where all people are welcome. In order to be effective advocates for all people with disabilities, we must address discrimination in all its forms, including the unique challenges faced by people who experience the intersection of multiple systems of discrimination.
YOUTH Practice Group
We are a statewide team of passionate attorneys who enforce and expand the rights of children and youth with disabilities, through litigation, direct services and movement lawyering. Our work aims to ensure equal access to education, dismantle the school to prison pipeline, eliminate the use of restraint, seclusion and segregated placements, reform the juvenile justice system and advance community-based mental health and behavioral services. We work to ensure that services are provided in a manner that is trauma-informed and culturally congruent, and to address the intersectional needs of children and youth with disabilities and their families.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Acts as legal and administrative support to enhance the effectiveness of the legal/advocacy staff by providing legal secretarial support and information management support. Disability Rights California will provide ongoing training opportunities for this position. We are seeking candidates who are committed to equity, inclusion, and justice across multiple differences, including race, ethnicity, disability, gender identity, orientation, and language.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – Legal Support 1
Education and Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); plus one-year legal secretarial experience; or two years of other specialized secretarial or word processing; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Plus:
– Proficient using Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Outlook, and Excel
Licenses / Certificates
- Bilingual on Spanish, Asian or ASL language.
- Two or more years of legal secretarial experience.
– Experience using database applications, web-based applications, or work-flow systems.
– Experience using Microsoft Office suite programs, including Access, PowerPoint, or Publisher.
– Experience working with nonprofit and/or social service agencies.
– Contacts with disability organizations and/or within disability communities.
– Contacts with multi-ethnic organizations and/or within multi-ethnic communities.
– Familiarity and/or extensive contacts with one or more of the following: homelessness, criminal justice, substance abuse, or Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/ Transgender/Intersex (GLBTI) communities.
– Life experience as a person with a disability OR direct experience as a caregiver of a family member with a disability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – Legal Support 2
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) plus:
- five years of litigation secretarial experience and/or training or a Paralegal Certificate,
- two years of litigation secretarial experience,
or equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSES / CERTIFICATES
A Paralegal Certificate preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice (disability rights, prisoners’ rights, immigration rights, and/or other types of civil rights issues).
- Experience working with clients confined to institutions (psychiatric hospitals, jails, prisons, immigration detention facilities, etc.).
- Experience using Westlaw or other legal research database and researching local court rules.
- Experience using Summation Case Management or other litigation support and legal review service platform.
- Experience working with nonprofit and/or social service agencies.
- Experience running reports and collecting data.
- Contacts with disability organizations and/or within disability communities.
- Contacts with multi-ethnic organizations and/or within multi-ethnic communities.
- Experience working with and/or sensitivity to persons with disabilities and/or experience working with and/or sensitivity to persons from multi-ethnic communities.
- Life experience as a person with a disability OR direct experience as a caregiver of a family member with a disability.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Spanish, Chinese, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Korean, or American Sign Language
Working at DRC is more than just a job – it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a generous benefit package. To view the detailed job description and complete the application process here.