Legal Secretary/Sr. Legal Secretary- Right to Counsel (Stay Housed Los Angeles)
POSITION: Legal Secretary/Sr. Legal Secretary- Right to Counsel (Stay Housed Los Angeles)
LOCATION: South Los Angeles Community Office*
SALARY: $33,590-$43,901/ DOE with excellent benefits
AVAILABILITY: September 1, 2020
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Project: The Stay Housed Los Angeles is a new project to bring much needed eviction defense resources to tenants in Los Angeles County Communities and may be the first steps towards a “Right to Counsel” for tenant eviction defense. The team will work in collaboration with other internal and external eviction defense projects as well as a multi-organizational coalition.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Legal Secretary.
NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond August 31, 2021.
- At least one (1) years’ experience as a litigation secretary;
- Type 60 wpm., with excellent proofing skills, as well as being able to transcribe from dictating equipment;
- Must be proficient with Word, Excel, and Power Point;
- Good written and oral communications skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently;
- Knowledge of civil filing procedures and deadlines;
- Knowledge of court e-filing procedures preferred;
- Ability to work collaboratively with all LAFLA staff, clients, and community organizations; and
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Primarily supports attorneys on unlawful detainer defense cases;
- Prepares drafts of routine correspondence, interrogatories and pleadings, selecting appropriate data from the files, discusses specific problems that require individualized drafting with the attorney; and prepares final drafts for attorney review;
- Performs a variety of secretarial duties such as setting up and/or maintaining filing systems, tickler systems, appointment calendars, answering inquiries over the phone or in person, and managing secretarial and administrative details with minimum direction;
- Coordinates logistic and administrative aspects of legal workshops, such as typing, updating, and translating (if applicable) workshop manuals and Power Point presentations, maintain client mailing list, preparing and sending out fliers;
- Assists attorneys or legal staff with translating for monolingual speaking clients in attorney-client meetings, administrative and trial hearings and correspondence if applicable;
- Provides support in short-term legal projects, including, but not limited to trial preparation tasks;
- Provide coverage and/or support for secretaries at any of the five community offices throughout Los Angeles; and
- Other duties as assigned.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Legal Secretary-Right to Counsel” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A six-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.