About the Position:
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Legal Secretary/Senior Legal Secretary.
- At least two (2) years’ experience as a legal secretary.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe, and Zoom.
- Familiarity with civil law procedures, deadlines, and e-filing, particularly for the Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Positive attitude with a demonstrated ability to interact respectfully with diverse staff and community members.
- Bilingual in Spanish strongly preferred.
Examples of Duties:
- Draft, revise, format, and proofread correspondence and legal documents, including court forms.
- Create and maintain electronic and physical case files and maintain up-to-date litigation and appointment calendars.
- Electronically file (e-File) legal pleadings, particularly for housing and unlawful detainer matters.
- Communicate and obtain information from clients and respond to client inquiries.
- Coordinate administrative aspects of legal workshops, such as updating and translating (if applicable) workshop materials, maintaining a client mailing list, and preparing and disseminating fliers.
- Translate and interpret for legal staff and clients, including at hearings (if applicable).
- Perform general secretarial tasks, including scanning, copying, processing mail, etc.
- Provide receptionist and/or front desk coverage, as needed, including screening applicants for legal services, as well as welcoming and directing visitors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Legal Secretary-Support Services” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A six-month probationary period will be required.
NOTE – All positions are subject to funding; ongoing funding or employment cannot be assured.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
Benefits & Compensation
LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend. Please visit https://lafla.org/get-involved/careers/ for our salary scale for union, non-management staff.