LEGAL SECRETARY – COUNCIL DISTRICT 9
|CLASSIFICATION: Litigation Secretary I (Union)||SALARY: $50,968.15 + DOQ|
|DEPARTMENT: Legal||FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt|
|REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney||APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled|
For nearly 50 years Bet Tzedek Legal Services has provided high-quality, free legal services to Los Angeles’ most vulnerable residents. Following the start of the Covid-19 pandemic and the deaths of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor that spurred nationwide civil rights demonstrations and demands for community reinvestment, Bet Tzedek has renewed its effort to expand legal services to communities of color through new partnerships with community organizations and government offices. One such partnerships is with Los Angeles City Council District 9 (“CD9”). CD9, or the “New Ninth,” a collection of neighborhoods and communities in South and Central Los Angeles that are rich in history and cultural diversity. Through our Project LEAD 9-Legal Aid for District Nine and Project EEF-Economic Empowerment for CD9, Bet Tzedek will provide comprehensive, trauma informed, wrap-around legal services to CD9 residents, small business owners, and entrepreneurs. Bet Tzedek is seeking a legal secretary that will be co-located with the CD9 office to support these new projects and serve as a point of contact to CD9 residents, small business owners, and entrepreneurs.
- Data entry, word processing; collect, compile, and organize program data and case files; scan; copy; and other clerical tasks;
- Clearly and professionally communicate with clients, staff, pro bono counsel, volunteers, community partners, service providers, other agencies, and the general public, as needed;
- Assist in conducting intakes for potential clients as needed;
- Assist in organizing and producing trainings and other multiparty events by communicating with multiple stakeholders and registrants; and
- Provide other general administrative support as requested.
- Certificate from legal secretary or paralegal program (preferred), or AA/AS, BA/BS, or equivalent work/life experience (required).
- Proficiency with MS Office (including Word, Power Point, Excel, and Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat or equivalent PDF editing program (required).
- Proficiency with legal research databases (such as Lexis Nexis or Westlaw) (preferred).
- Proficiency with NetDocuments or other web-based document management system (preferred).
- Proficiency with Legal Server or other case management systems (preferred).
- Spanish proficiency and ability to provide written and oral Spanish-to-English and English-to-Spanish translation (required).
- At least 1-2 years’ experience working in a law firm, legal services nonprofit, or equivalent professional office setting (required).
- Demonstrate an understanding and commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission of equal justice for all and Bet Tzedek’s core values of leadership, community-based advocacy, and innovation (required).
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (required).
How To Apply:
- Email letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
Note: All positions are subject to funding; ongoing funding or employment cannot be assured.
To best serve our communities, Bet Tzedek seeks diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.