CLASSIFICATION: Litigation Secretary (Union Position)
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney
The delivery of legal services today requires innovation and partnership. Bet Tzedek’s Harbor UCLA Medical Legal Partnership embodies this reality. By deploying staff who co-locate at the medical facility, Bet Tzedek is able to work in partnership with medical professionals to holistically address community members’ social determinants of health through legal advocacy. Bet Tzedek is in the process of expanding this effort, and seeks a legal secretary to provide general administrative support to attorneys assigned to the Harbor-UCLA MLP, the Whole Person Care MLP, and other programs, as needed. The support will include coordinating MLP case referrals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
• Prepare, format, e-file and coordinate service of process of various court documents
• Maintain legal files and timely enter case information into legal database
• Data entry, scanning, copying, word processing, create and maintain spreadsheets, open and close cases, and run conflicts checks
• Clearly and professionally communicate with clients, advocates, managers, legal partners, opposing counsel, courts, agencies, and the general public
• Provide secretarial litigation support on behalf of program attorneys, including but not limited to compiling brief binders and exhibits.
• Spanish proficiency and ability to provide written and oral Spanish translation (required)
• Proficiency with MS Office and legal database (including Word; Power Point; Excel; Prime; Lexis Nexis/Westlaw) (required)
• Proficiency with Netdocs or other web-based document management system (preferred)
• Proficiency with case management systems (Kemp’s PRIME, JusticeServer, LegalServer) (preferred)
• At least 3-5 years of law firm or legal nonprofit experience (preferred)
• Demonstrate an understanding and commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission of equal justice for all and Bet Tzedek’s core values of leadership, community-based advocacy, and innovation
Education and/or Experience:
• Degree from legal secretary program, AA/AS and/or BA/BS or equivalent work/life experience (highly preferred)
How to apply:
• Email letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: “MLP Litigation Secretary”). Please, no phone calls.