WHO WE ARE:
Founded in 1966, CRLAs mission is to fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of our society. Through a network of regional offices and cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to tens of thousands of low-income people annually. Our work impacts farmworkers, individuals with disabilities, immigrant populations, LGBTQ+ communities, women, children, and families in rural areas.
Position: Legal Secretary
Experience: One (1) year of legal secretary experience
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Location: CRLA Fresno
Term of Employment: Temporary (12 months), Full-Time (37.5hrs/week)
Other: FLSA Non-Exempt, Union Position
Reporting to the Directing Attorney, the Legal Secretary will draft legal documents, file, maintain records and perform variety of secretarial duties for the local office.
- Drafts legal correspondence, forms, petitions, pleadings, motions, discovery and informational material.
- Independently composes (types/reviews) outgoing correspondence to insure all legal documents/enclosures are in proper processing order and grammatically correct.
- Files documents with the court, stay up-to-date with changes in local court rules and procedural requirements for litigation.
- Maintains records relating to legal matters in process and ensure that legal requirements and deadlines are met.
- Performs a variety of responsible secretarial duties such as; setting up and/or maintaining filing systems, appointment calendars, answering inquiries over the phone or in person, and managing secretarial and administrative details with minimum direction.
- Assists attorneys or legal staff with translating and interpreting for non-English speaking clients in attorney-client interviews and correspondence;
- Input case and project information into CMS, including time records, calendaring and other information as directed.
- Provides support to Administrative Legal Secretary as needed.
- Operates a variety of office machines.
- Assists with library maintenance.
- Performs other normal law office duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENT:
- Applicant must have the ability to perform all of the above duties.
- Commitment to serving low income clients
- Ability to use internet, database and computer MS word
- Ability to interact productively with a diverse community
- Bilingual (Spanish & English) fluency preferred
Preferred Education and Experience:
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Spanish fluency or additional language ability relevant to the primary communities.
- Prior experience managing a multi-location organization.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Based on a competitive public interest union salary scale; generous benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan contribution. Fourteen (14) paid Holidays, generous vacation and sick leave policy, some professional dues paid by CRLA.
Application: APPLY HERE
CRLA invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.