San Luis Obispo Legal Assistance Foundation (SLOLAF) is seeking a full-time Legal Assistant. The position is primarily funded through the Sargent Shriver Civil Counsel Act, which targets cases involving critical legal issues that affect basic human needs such as housing, elder abuse, conservatorship, and guardianship. The Shriver program strives to ensure meaningful access to justice for low-income litigants. The Legal Assistant will provide support to two attorneys who provide legal counsel, advice, and representation to low-income individuals facing eviction or other landlord-tenant issues, elder abuse, guardianship of the person and conservatorship of the person based on procedural stance and priorities of each matter.
SLOLAF is a non-profit legal aid organization that provides free legal assistance to San Luis Obispo County residents. Our mission is to provide legal services and resources to people in need, and our vision is legal access for all. Since 1992, SLOLAF has served thousands of those in our community in the greatest need, including low-income individuals, seniors, veterans, and other vulnerable populations. SLOLAF provides direct representation, assistance with self-representation, legal advice, community education and outreach, and referrals to other community resources.
- Have a passion for SLOLAF’s mission & serving those in need
- Interview prospective clients and complete intakes, services agreements and closing letters
- Assist with document preparation such as unlawful detainer answers, fee waivers, discovery, conservatorships of the person, guardianships of the person and elder abuse restraining order applications
- Maintain confidentiality and preserve/protect privileged communications
- Assist attorneys with e-filing, file organization and communication with clients
- Attend trainings, community meetings, community education events and community workshops
- Develop positive relationships with clients, co-workers, and community partners
- Collect and maintain data required under the Shriver grant using Clio and other programs
- Be licensed to drive in California or otherwise have a reliable means of transportation to travel to court, meetings, and outreach events as necessary
- Paralegal certificate and a minimum of two (2) years of relevant legal experience with unlawful detainers or probate (preferred but not required)
- Bilingual Spanish/English (preferred but not required)
- Familiarity and competence with e-filing
- Ability to use appropriate software in the performance of professional legal work
- Ability to assist with data collection in order to comply with all program and grant requirements
- Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with those who may have educational, language, cognitive impairments, or other barriers to understanding
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must work well with others and have a good sense of humor
Salary and Benefits:
- Starts at $23-$29 per hour, depending on experience (non-exempt)
- Paid vacation time: Starts at 10 days per year, increases after two years
- Paid sick leave: 80 hours per year
- Paid holidays: 14 days per year
- SLOLAF contributes 2% to Simple IRA retirement account
- SLOLAF contributes up to $500/month to group health insurance plan (employee coverage only)
- SLOLAF contributes 100% to group Dental, Vision, Life, and LTD insurance plans (employee coverage only)
- No calls please
- Email cover letter (required) and resume, in PDF format, to SLOLAF Human Resources at email@example.com.
Position is available immediately and posting will remain open until filled.
At SLOLAF, a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace is one where all clients, employees and volunteers feel valued and respected, regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education, or disability. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all our departments and programs.