Legal Assistant / Paralegal
Center for Human Rights & Constitutional Law
The Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law is a Los Angeles non-profit organization that focuses its work on the civil and human rights of insular minorities including immigrants, refugees, children, and indigenous peoples. The Center initiates and conducts major class action litigation, often involving constitutional law issues. The program also operates community-based and international human rights projects.
The Center is seeking a motivated self-starter to join our team as a Legal Assistant/Paralegal. The Legal Assistant will be expected to assist with day to day operations, provide litigation support to the legal team, facilitate in-person and webinar trainings available to other State-funded non-profits providing legal support to the immigrant community, and much more. The Legal Assistant/Paralegal will report to Executive Director and be assigned projects as needed. The position is full-time, Monday-Friday from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM. Salary range $36,000-$40,000 annually.
- B.A./B.S. or ABA-approved paralegal certificate required.
- Proficient computer and database use, including word processing
- Must be highly motivated, dynamic, able to handle several tasks at once;
- Desire to work in the public interest and provide direct services.
- Spanish fluency preferred.
- Legal experience required.
1. Assist the legal staff in providing legal support and assistance to legal service providers throughout the State of California.
2. Assist in the planning and execution of webinars, classes and other training to legal services providers throughout the State of California. Update web-based resources for legal service providers. Maintain files for trainings
3. Assist in the litigation of direct service and class action litigation for low-income clients seeking protection of their civil rights. Interface with clients and maintain case files.
4. Process appeals filed by class members in class action cases. Update and maintain the appeals paper and computer-based files, and forward appeals, briefs, and additional evidence to the corresponding Special Master.
Medical, vision, and dental insurance, and paid sick leave and vacation.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
4-year degree or paralegal certificate
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $36,000.00 – $40,000.00 per year
During the COVID-19 pandemic, remote work is possible for this position.
- Legal: 1 year (Required)
- Spanish (Required)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Monday to Friday
- 8 hour shift