Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund
Job Announcement – Legal Assistant
Title: Legal Assistant
Supervisor: Legal Director
FTE: Part Time (at least 60%) or Full time (We’re flexible)
Location: Hybrid In-Office & Remote – DREDF Offices in Berkeley, CA
Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund (DREDF) in Berkeley, CA is looking for a part-time or full time (we’re flexible) Legal Assistant to work with our team of disability civil rights attorneys.
DREDF is a leading national disability civil rights law and policy center directed by disabled people and parents who have disabled children. Our mission is to advance the civil and human rights of people with disabilities through legal advocacy, training, education, and public policy and legislative development. DREDF’s staff includes eight lawyers, two policy advocates, four education advocates, and other professionals.
All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless there is a valid and documented medical reason for not being fully vaccinated or a sincerely held religious belief preventing vaccination. We are returning to a hybrid of remote and in-office work in our Berkeley office, conveniently located at the Ashby BART Station.
Responsibilities: Under the direction of attorneys:
- Provide administrative and litigation support to attorneys including word-processing, proofreading, record-keeping, file maintenance, document copying, creating accessible PDFs using Adobe Acrobat Pro (we will train you!), court e-Filing, etc.
- Create and maintaining a calendar system for cases;
- File (E-filing) and arrange for service of Court documents;
- Assist attorneys scheduling appointments and intake-related tasks, including legal issue-spotting, conflict check, and eligibility for representation
- Perform general case management including preparation of documents and legal forms, legal research and hearing preparation in individual and impact cases
- Maintain detailed timekeeping in Harvest Timekeeping program
- Prepare and maintain client files, electronic and/or physical
- Provide administrative, outreach, and organizational support in community education efforts
- Perform other duties as assigned
- At least two to three years of work experience as a paralegal or legal assistant with experience in civil litigation in both state and federal courts
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with Acrobat Pro (for PDF accessibility) preferred (the position will require use of Acrobat Pro)
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently, and function as part of a team
- Self-motivation, ability to learn quickly, initiative to problem-solve
- Proven ability to meet strict deadlines
- Demonstrated organizational skills with keen attention to detail
Salary & Benefits
Full-time salary is in the range of $56,000 (two years of experience) to $60,000 (four years of experience).
Currently, for employees working 50% time or more, DREDF pays 80% of medical and 100% of dental and vision insurance for the employee and dependents. Other benefits include paid vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, 403(b) retirement savings, and a flexible workplace.
This job is open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We look forward to hearing from you! Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Susan Henderson at email@example.com
We value diversity, and we strongly encourage and welcome people of color, disabled people, parents of children with disabilities, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and people with diverse life experiences and backgrounds to apply. DREDF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination is required as a condition of employment
before date of hire unless exemptions noted above apply
We are moving to the flexibility of a hybrid in-office and remote workplace. We expect that most staff will have the opportunity to work remotely at least one to two days of their work week.