Job Posting: Legal Administrative Assistant at East Bay Family Defenders
East Bay Family Defenders’ mission is to keep families together and minimize the time children spend in foster care. We provide holistic family defense to all indigent parents, and some children, facing child welfare intervention in Alameda County. We advocate for systemic change to reduce system intervention in families and promote community-based preventive resources and restorative solutions that meaningfully strengthen families. We partner with community-based providers and allied advocates.
Our clients come to us through court-appointment by the Alameda County Juvenile Dependency Court when Child Protective Services files cases against parents or guardians alleging child maltreatment. Our attorneys, social worker, and parent advocates provide dedicated, zealous, client-directed legal defense while addressing the underlying issues that brought the family into the child welfare system. Our teams strive to reduce foster care entries, shorten lengths of stay in foster care, promote frequent and high-quality visiting arrangements, and ensure that families receive services that are well-tailored to expediting safe and lasting reunification.
Our busy, fast-paced law office is looking for a legal administrative assistant to support the work of our attorneys, under the supervision of our Administration and Operations Director (AOD). This position also includes front desk / receptionist responsibilities. The ideal candidate is an exceptional communicator, independent, detail-oriented, and capable of prioritizing and multi-tasking. The position requires a high level of resourcefulness, including problem-solving and creative thinking skills. Strong computer and data management skills are a must.
- Create a warm, welcoming, and supportive office environment
- Perform intake with clients
- Answer and direct phone calls
- Process mail
- Assist attorneys with preparing and filing court documents and new client forms
- Support attorneys with calendaring and data entry
- Assist AOD with implementing office policies
- Manage office supply inventory
- 2-5 years’ administrative or relevant pre-law experience
- AA degree, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Spanish language proficiency strongly preferred ; other second-language proficiency encourged to apply
- Adeptness with technology, including data entry and managing team calendars; Experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, Outlook required
- Valid California driver’s license and a vehicle
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $20.00 – $22.00 / hour. Competitive benefits package includes health and dental coverage and generous paid time off.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a cover letter, resume, and at least two professional supervisor references to the attention of Rachel Taylor, Administration and Operations Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
East Bay Family Defenders is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce.
We are committed to implementing equitable practices and promoting diversity at all levels of our organization.