Job Title: Intake Staff Attorney
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Managing Attorney, Executive Director
Supervises: Paralegals, secretary, Intake/ Receptionist
Working Relationships: Office Staff, Clients, Guests
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Purpose of Position:
The Intake Attorney is responsible for the review of client issues for additional development by the intake staff. The first contact clients have with ICLS often with the Intake Unit. Therefore, it is essential that it operate professionally, accurately and efficiently. The Intake Unit gathers from potential clients the information ICLS needs to determine what assistance is being sought, eligibility under one or more of our programs, and whether the assistance sought is of a type that ICLS provides. In the case of matters with which ICLS cannot assist, the Intake Unit provides useful information, technical assistance, and referrals to other sources of assistance. This position reports to the Intake Director.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review closing letters of non-attorney intake staff to ensure accuracy of legal advice;
- Ensure that emergency matters are identified, and timely and accurately referred to appropriate ICLS staff;
- Ensure that intake staff correctly identifies potential client issues as well as obtain and accurately record necessary information in the ICLS client database;
- Provide real-time daily backup and legal support to intake staff in all 5 ICLS offices;
- Provide accurate and helpful legal information, technical assistance, and referrals; and ensure that the intake staff does the same;
- Identify matters that fall within the priorities of ICLS’s programs, and ensure that such matters are promptly, efficiently and accurately transmitted to the appropriate ICLS programs for timely assistance;
- Handle client calls and intakes when needed;
- Ensure that intake office duties and special projects are timely completed;
- Maintain resource materials regarding ICLS for distribution to the public and use by intake staff;
- Assist the Intake Director with organization of the clerical and administrative functions of the Intake Unit;
- Assist in preparing reports;
- Perform related tasks consistent with skills, abilities, and general responsibilities as assigned to support ICLS.
- Supervise and provide regular training for intake/ outreach staff in ICLS five offices;
- Travel to all 5 branch offices and do senior intakes
- Oversee all aspects of screening applications for legal assistance;
- Maintain call flow charts, call routing, intake and screening scripts for each area of law, sample advice letters, call center protocols, and staff training manuals;
- Work closely with other PGDs;
- Ensure timely and appropriate responses to incoming requests for legal assistance;
- Explore new models for service delivery utilizing technology; and
- Ensure that legal services provided are consistent with ICLS’s priorities, policies and procedures, and that they maximize office resources to provide the highest quality client
- C. Performs other duties as assigned by managing attorney or supervisor
- II. EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Education: Degree from a law school and an active member of the California Bar in good
- Work Experience: Ability to understand the objectives of poverty law. Prior work experience, paid or volunteer, in a legal services office serving low-income clients, considered an asset for employment.
- An ability to relate to the client community being served.
- The ability to speak the Spanish language is a desirable asset.
- Other: Must have a California Drivers License and be able to drive a vehicle to go to court and/or have the ability to get to court.