Intake Paralegal- Client Intake (Asian Pacific Islander Hotline)
POSITION: Intake Paralegal- Client Intake (Asian Pacific Islander Hotline)
LOCATION: Ron Olson Justice Center
SALARY: $33,894 to $45,839/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Intake Paralegal.
*NOTE – This position is a temporary 24-month position. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the 24-month period.
- A four (4) year degree or Paralegal Certificate;
- One (1) year relevant work experience preferred;
- Experience in providing assistance to the poverty population, including experience in interviewing clients;
- Knowledge of immigration, family, housing and/or government benefits law;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to be flexible in job duties;
- Organized, with ability to work on high-volume caseload;
- Comfortable with case management systems and other technology; and
- Bilingual in an Asian language required.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Interview and counsel clients;
- Provide limited service to clients;
- Respond to requests for assistance submitted via telephone, online intake, and walk-in applications;
- Work in conjunction with staff attorneys in cases that involve immigration, family, housing and/or government benefits law and other legal issues;
- Work effectively as part of a team that includes attorneys, support staff, volunteers, and students;
- Participate in clinics and other community outreach projects; and
- Other duties as assigned.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Eligible employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Intake Paralegal-API Hotline” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A nine-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.