INTAKE & OUTREACH COORDINATOR
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT LEGAL SERVICES FOR CHILDREN
Founded in 1975, Legal Services for Children (“LSC”) is one of the country’s first non-profit law firms dedicated to providing free legal representation and social work services to children. Our mission is to ensure that all children in the San Francisco Bay Area are raised in a safe environment with equal access to a meaningful education and other services that are necessary to thrive and grow. We believe that youth deserve positive alternatives to unnecessary placement in foster care, juvenile justice facilities, and immigration detention. LSC pioneered the interdisciplinary approach that is considered a best practice in juvenile law today. We deploy attorney-social worker teams to assist Bay Area children who need to access the legal system to stabilize or improve their lives. LSC’s attorneys represent children in legal matters that involve guardianship, dependency, school discipline, immigration, and other civil legal matters. Our social workers provide crisis intervention, case management, counseling, and psychosocial assessments. LSC staff also engage in policy and advocacy projects aimed at advancing the rights of children.
To promote social justice and best serve our clients, LSC is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing services with cultural humility. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and ensuring a workplace where staff can flourish and grow professionally, and well beyond. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups including People of Color and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Bilingual/bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Intake and Outreach Coordinator will:
Under direction of the Legal Director, provide intake and outreach support for the organization by managing various aspects of our intake line(warm-line) and be the first line of contact for community partners and outreach efforts.
Your responsibility will include:
- Managing the Warm-Line, referrals, and resources offered to community members, including continually updating and improving our warm-line systems and protocols.
- Staffing the warm-line, along with legal interns and other volunteers.
- Creating training modules for legal interns with emphasis on client consultation, proper follow-up for pending inquiries and establishing rapport with potential clients. Providing support for legal interns via check-ins and shadow shifts.
- Collaborating with attorneys and social workers on protocol and procedural updates for intake.
- Collaborating with the Legal Director in opening, assigning, and properly affixing funding sources to new cases opened in the office.
- Monitoring all pending inquiries via case managements software, Legal Server.
- Leading efforts in establishing relationships with community partners for proper upkeep of referral database.
- Leading Know Your Rights (KYR) Project and coordinate presentations for community with emphasis youth legal rights and other legal topics.
- Helping attorney team with document translation and interpretation for asylum interviews, as appropriate.
- Troubleshooting and updating client case management system.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Energy, optimism and passion for serving children and youth
- Ability to use a case management database
- Strong commitment to providing culturally competent services.
- Experience and comfort in serving youth
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize workload in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience and comfort with community outreach
- Experience with MS Office applications, including Excel and Word.
Please note that due to COVID19, some employees at Legal Services for Children (LSC) are working remotely but with options and expectations to come into the office when necessary. LSC is currently working on a gradual return to office plan. This position will be eligible for a “hybrid” model in which the person can work some of the time outside of the office, even after we have fully reopened.
This position is in a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 20.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $51,000-$60,000. Benefits include fully paid health insurance for employees and partially paid for child dependents (medical, dental and vision), retirement contribution, as well as pre-tax on qualifying FSA and transit expenses. LSC’s dedicated staff team enjoys generous paid leave (vacation, sick, holiday, and sabbatical).
Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to email@example.com with “Intake & Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered:
LSC’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are low income youth of color. To ensure that our agency is best serving these children, LSC strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.