California Indian Legal Services is a statewide, tribally controlled, non-profit corporation that provides legal services to Indian tribes, Indian organizations and low-income individual Indians on issues involving Federal Indian Law. CILS provides a variety of legal services including brief counsel and advice and extended representation on core legal issues affecting Native Americans and Indian tribes. CILS is involved in litigation, policy analysis and advocacy, and provides transactional services to tribes involving economic development and tribal infrastructure.
CILS has four offices throughout California. Our Sacramento office serves 38 counties statewide that include 51 of the 109 federally recognized tribes in California. For additional information about CILS, check out: www.calindian.org.
This is a full-time position devoted to increasing and enhancing our legal services. Under direction of the Directing Attorney, the Intake Advocate will work collaboratively with other staff to process requests effectively and efficiently for legal assistance from individuals, Tribes, and Indian organizations via live phone calls, voicemail, email, and in-person community education presentations.
This position involves both administrative office and case management work. The major responsibilities of this position are to conduct intakes with potential clients; to ensure that community members receive helpful, efficient information and assistance through the intake process; and to work with other staff to develop and implement a variety of outreach strategies to increase community members’ access to legal services. Substantive work will include:
- Conducting preliminary interviews with potential clients;
- Completing intake forms and data entry into case management system;
- Gathering information on potential legal issues;
- Presenting intakes at case acceptance meetings with attorneys;
- Providing referrals to other sources of assistance;
- Performing follow-up investigation and research;
- Drafting client documents under supervision of an attorney.
- Paralegal certificate/law degree from accredited program or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated interest in Native American rights, public interest law, and/or commitment to working with low-income and other disadvantaged clients.
- Highly organized and able to analyze and present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – ability to communicate empathetically but productively with callers in crisis.
- Comfortable with variety of computer programs including web-based case management
- Ability to work productively and empathetically with individuals from diverse
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and to take initiative.
- Prior legal services experience.
- Prior intake or customer service experience.
This position is in person in the Sacramento office. Monday and Friday teleworking is possible and is voluntary. On some Mondays and Fridays, if business needs require your physical presence, teleworking will not be possible.
Starting salary is $28 per hour. CILS offers generous benefits including individual and family/partner medical, vision and dental benefits, AD&D, short & long-term disability insurances, life insurance, Section 125 Flexible Spending Accounts, generous leave policies and potential for annual performance incentive.
The ideal candidate would be able to start working on September 16, 2022.
Submit a resume and cover letter, to Kia Murdoch, Directing Attorney, California Indian Legal Services, Re: Sacramento Intake Advocate, 117 J Street, Suite 201, Sacramento, CA 95814. E-mail: Sac-Hiring@calindian.org. We will accept applications until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
CALIFORNIA INDIAN LEGAL SERVICES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. NATIVE AMERICANS, WOMEN, MINORITIES AND THE DISABLED ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.