Immigration Practice Group Director
Job Title: Immigration Practice Group Director
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Deputy Director of Litigation
Supervises: Lead Attorneys, Staff Attorneys, Paralegals, and Legal Secretaries
Inland Counties Legal Services is seeking an experienced immigration attorney to manage the Immigration Practice Group. Inland Counties Legal Services, Inc. is a nonprofit organization providing legal services to low-income persons residing in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. ICLS targets services to seniors and those in the greatest social or economic need. Legal services are provided by attorneys, or paralegals under the direct supervision of an attorney. Levels of service include advice and counsel, limited action (includes negotiations and preparation of legal documents), as well as direct representation before administrative law and civil courts. ICLS provides legal assistance in a variety of areas in law, the nine practice groups are: Outreach, Consumer, Housing, Family Law, Immigration, Systemic and Impact, Health Law and Public Benefits, Tax and Bankruptcy, and Education. Visit our website at www.inlandlegal.org for more information.
Overview of Position
The Immigration Practice Group assists victims of domestic violence and related crimes obtain or maintain lawful status. Applicants with experience working with victims are strongly preferred. This position is responsible for practicing both substantive immigration law, and supervising and training all staff in the immigration practice group. This position is also responsible for managing grants that support the operations of the practice group, and meeting the deliverables and compliance objectives required by the funding sources.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and supervise all staff in the immigration practice group
- Monitor caseload and productivity of all staff in the immigration practice group to ensure that staff are operating efficiently and producing quality legal work.
- Participate in management and administrative decision-making processes at ICLS
- Experience with U visas, VAWA, T visas, hardship waivers, and removal proceedings preferred. Law school clinic, internships and externship experience will also be considered. The attorney will represent clients before USCIS and Immigration Court.
- The Practice Group Director will also be responsible for outreach and community engagement
- Engage in grant reporting and identify and assist in grant applications
- Represent ICLS and its Immigration Practice Group while at outreach events, meetings with government organizations, other legal services and community-based organizations.
- Review closing letters of non-attorney staff to ensure accuracy of legal advice;
- Ensure that emergency matters are identified, and timely and accurately referred to appropriate ICLS staff;
- Provide accurate and helpful legal information, technical assistance, and referrals; and ensure that staff does the same;
- Identify matters that fall within the priorities of ICLS’s programs, and ensure that such matters are promptly, efficiently and accurately transmitted to the appropriate ICLS programs for timely assistance;
- Perform related tasks consistent with skills, abilities, and general responsibilities as assigned to support ICLS.
- Work closely with other PGDs;
- Ensure timely and appropriate responses to incoming requests for legal assistance;
- Explore new models for service delivery utilizing technology; and
- Ensure that legal services provided are consistent with ICLS’s priorities, policies and procedures, and that they maximize office resources to provide the highest quality client
- Performs other duties as assigned
Desired Education and Experience
- At least 5 years of experience working in immigration law
- At least 5 years of management experience in a legal environment
- Degree from law school and active member of the California Bar in good standing
- Ability to understand the objectives of poverty law
- Prior work experience, paid or volunteer, in legal service office serving low-income clients is considered an asset for employment.
- Strong written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Patient and flexible
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to HRManager@icls.org.
Inland Counties Legal Services Is An
Equal Opportunity Employer
Women, Minorities and Disabled Persons Encouraged to Apply