CENTRAL CALIFORNIA LEGAL SERVICES
JOB OPENING ANNOUNCEMENT
IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY OR SENIOR IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY
WHO WE ARE: Central California Legal Services provides high quality legal services to indigent residents across six counties in California’s central San Joaquin Valley, a region where intense poverty exists side by side with unparalleled wealth and abundance. CCLS improves the wellbeing of our communities through broad-scale advocacy, as well as through legal work that meets individual clients’ immediate needs. Together with our clients and partners, we challenge the systems that breed poverty in the Central Valley, reshaping our Valley’s narratives to support health and prosperity for all who love and work in this most fertile and beautiful region.
CCLS seeks a full-time immigration attorney to work with its Family/Immigration/Benefits Team. The attorney must have experience providing legal representation, consultation, advocacy and education in immigration and/or domestic violence matters. The attorney will provide high quality legal services, from advice and brief services to full representation; actively collaborate with community groups and nonprofits to devise solutions to problems of poverty in our client communities; and foster a productive relationship with other CCLS staff, the courts, public agencies, and community groups. A commitment to impact litigation as part of a holistic and collaborative advocacy strategy is essential.
Position: Immigration Staff Attorney
Experience: Active civil legal practice
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Location: Fresno, Visalia and Merced Offices (as needed)
Term of Employment: Permanent Full Time
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
To Apply: Please e-mail cover letter, résumé, and three references along with a legal writing sample to:
Manuel Romero, Director of Administration
- Please tell us briefly about your experience, if any, doing advocacy work with a low-income community. What skills and qualities did you bring that were important to the effort? What did you learn?
- Please describe your leadership experience, if any.
- Tell us about your connection to the Central Valley: how well do you know it? Do you have ties here? What draws you here?
- Do you have particular interest in being a Legal Aid lawyer? If so, please tell us about that.
- Focus on immigration matters;
- Provide direct legal services in immigration matters for victims of domestic violence and trafficking;
- Represent survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in immigration petitions, including U-Visas, T Visas, VAWA, and Naturalization;
- Participate in community outreach events and legal workshops/clinics.
- Participate in weekly CCLS case review meetings, keep abreast of changes in the law, including continuing legal education, and adhere to CCLS policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of California; or, eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program and California Bar admission within twelve months of hire;
- Experience providing legal representation, consultation, advocacy and education in immigration matters and/or to victims of domestic and family violence;
- Litigation experience in State, Federal and/or Immigration Court, preferably in immigration and domestic violence proceedings;
- Desire to address systemic issues and develop general knowledge of poverty law;
- Experience working with low-income clients, collaborating effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations, and connecting and strategizing with local community leaders;
- Previous Legal Aid or other non-profit legal services experience desirable;
- Bilingual ability strongly preferred in English and at least one other language commonly spoken in the Central Valley.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills;
- Comfortable working under pressure, on a team or independently, passionate about the work, inquisitive, and analytical;
- Ability to travel as needed, proof of liability and property insurance on vehicle used.
SALARY/BENEFITS: Salary Range DOE ($54,684-$87,468); benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance coverage; employer contribution to 403(b) plan based on length of service; 14.5 paid holidays; generous vacation and sick leave policy; some professional dues paid by CCLS; if qualified, participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program, and/or a Bilingual Supplement.
CCLS is an equal opportunity employer: we value equity, inclusion, and diversity, across all races, cultures, classes, ages, religions, gender identities and presentations, sexual orientations, body sizes, family structures, abilities, and all categories protected by law. We encourage all interested individuals to apply.
POST DATE: 6/24/2019