National Center for Youth Law
The National Center for Youth Law (NCYL) advances justice by defending the rights of children and improving the systems impacting their lives. We focus on complex challenges that disproportionately impact children and communities of color and on solutions that require multiple public systems to change their policies, practices and culture.
NCYL is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We strive to embrace and encourage the collective sum of individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent our employees invest in their work that represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and organization’s success.
NCYL seeks a HR Manager to lead the Human Resources functions and manage NCYL’s volunteer program. The position will report to the Senior Director of Finance & Operations and will be a member of NCYL’s fun loving, energetic, and growing Operations Team. The HR Manager will be based at NCYL’s office in Oakland, California, and will support all NCYL’s employees and volunteers across all project sites. Some travel will be required, especially to NCYL’s offices in Washington DC, Arizona, and other parts of California. It’s a perfect position for someone seeking to be a critical member of a growing, national civil rights organization.
- Manage the process of hiring new staff including:
- Recruiting candidates that help to increase the diversity of NCYL’s staff, clerks and volunteers
- Supporting the hiring manager/committee in evaluation of applications and candidates
- Ensuring that the hiring process complies with all employment laws and regulations
- Manage onboarding and offboarding
- Support the organization’s efforts to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive
- Organize staff celebrations and employee recognition programs; manage professional development of staff; and oversee employee wellness programs
- Support the ongoing training of supervisors, including conducting and organizing trainings, training new supervisors, and supporting supervisors in the performance management of their supervisees.
- Plan, organize, and implement NCYL events including staff events, retreats, planning sessions and events for the summer law clerk program
- Manage NCYL volunteer program including recruiting, onboarding, training, and supporting volunteers, including summer law clerks
- Revise and update human resources policies and procedures, including making necessary revisions to personnel handbook
- Help with the development of a travel policy and help with travel arrangement for staff, as needed
- Manage and support all employee benefits, including benefit enrollment, ongoing education of staff, and answering benefit questions
- Conduct annual open enrollment process for health and dental insurance, FSA and transit program
- Oversee pension plan and annual meetings between pension advisor and staff
- Manage pregnancy disability, family leave and sabbatical leave, as well as unemployment and worker’s compensation claims
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements and labor laws
- Collect employee timesheets and process payroll
- Maintain employee files including collecting necessary documents from employees
- Oversee the background check process for those employees who work directly with youth; maintain the DMV Pull Notice Program
- Other duties as assigned
- 2+ years’ HR experience in a professional environment
- Knowledge of state and federal labor laws
- Ability to maintain a high-level of confidentiality
- Friendly demeanor, customer service orientation, good judgment
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects in order to meet deadlines
- Computer proficiency
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently but also perform in a team environment
- Commitment to working in, and contributing to, a diverse workplace
- Ability and willingness for some travel
- Strong belief in NCYL’s values and mission
- Experience leading the human resource functions of an organization
- Degree in Human Resources or related field of study, SHRM certified
- Familiarity with nonprofit human resource needs
- Competency in Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of online payroll services such as ADP or Paylocity; knowledge of online recruiting platforms; knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS)
- Experience planning events
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position, exempt position. Salary is competitive with a range of $80,000 to $88,000. NCYL provides health, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, vacation and sick benefits and an employer contribution to a retirement plan.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references through the link below. No phone calls or emails, please.
Applicants of color and those who will increase the diversity of NCYL are strongly encouraged to apply.
NCYL is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, color, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, or genetic information.