POSITION: Housing Supervising Attorney Position
SUPERVISOR: Directing Attorney
WAGE RANGE: Depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt Employee
LOCATION: CLA SoCal Office(s)
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County. Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective leader to supervise the Housing Unit (visit www.communitylegalsocal.org for more information about us). This is a new position at CLA SoCal and we seek an individual who wants to take the opportunity to advance our community-driven work in
housing rights and create a dynamic team environment for zealous advocacy.
● Active Bar membership in California;
● Minimum five years of legal experience;
● Experience in providing legal services to improve access to and preservation of affordable housing opportunities for low-
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Legal Work Experience
● Knowledge of applicable housing laws and community legal needs;
● Litigation experience in State and Federal Courts, preferably in legal issues involving access to housing;
● Experience engaging in policy advocacy, coordinating or collaborating in policy campaigns with partner community-based organizations, conducting legal research and providing legal services to improve access to and preservation of affordable housing opportunities for low-income clients;
● Represented clients before judicial tribunals in a full range of civil legal matters with primary emphasis on landlord tenant, and legal issues involving access to housing. Other practice areas include foreclosure;
● Proficiency in dealing with people empathetically and effectively, while providing excellent legal services;
● Prior commitment to serving low income individuals, and the most vulnerable immigrant communities and survivors of domestic violence; and,
● Bilingual preferred, Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese is a plus.
● Experience managing, teaching and mentoring staff within a unit;
● Familiarity with Legal Services Corporation (LSC) rules and regulations;
● Demonstrated ability to create and maintain community partnerships;
● Ability to build infrastructure for staff to effectively produce high-level legal services; and,
● Manage multiple grants and deliverables within the unit.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
● Expectation of supervising and working in Orange County and our Southeast offices with flexibility to
work in either location;
● Provide direct legal services to low-income clients needing assistance with housing advocacy including defending tenants in eviction proceedings;
● Lead case review sessions and work collaboratively with staff to develop case strategies, best practices, unit protocols, and grant billing;
● Provide guidance to staff on case work and staff development, including providing consistent feedback;
● Identify significant legal needs to prevent homelessness and increase the variety and supply of safe, stable, accessible and affordable housing;
● Outreach to homeless communities where individuals are comfortable seeking assistance;
● Conduct trainings and outreach to community-based organizations and community groups;
● Develop and coordinate legal clinics with volunteers and other community collaboratives;
● Coordinate with other assistance organizations in the area by providing referrals and implementing partner meetings to assure appropriate and efficient coverage of services;
● Flexibility to work evenings and weekends to attend community events, outreach and engagement and hold and assist with legal clinics;
● Ensure deliverables are met under various funding grants and prepare all necessary narratives and reports for grant funding; and
● In conjunction with the Directing Attorney and Director of Pro Bono, recruit, train, and supervise volunteer attorneys and law students.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA.
Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Jessica Flowers at email@example.com. Position open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.