Housing Staff Attorney
WHO WE ARE:
For over 50 years, CCLS has been representing and advocating for lowincome individuals in Merced, Tuolumne, Mariposa, Fresno, Tulare, and Kings Counties—a region where intense poverty exists side by side with unparalleled wealth and abundance. Our mission is to provide high quality, no-cost civil legal services to low income individuals, families, and communities—improving the wellbeing of our Valley through systems-changing advocacy, client education, and legal work that meets individual clients’ immediate needs. We also work closely with agencies and community organizations that share our commitment to support our clients in being their own agents of change.
CCLS seeks TWO, full-time housing attorney to be a part of a team that regularly engages in affirmative litigation and provides general legal support to clients across the Central Valley that will improve housing conditions and prevent displacement.
Position: Housing Staff Attorney Experience: All Experience Welcome Application Deadline: See website Location: Visalia Office & Fresno Office Term of Employment: Regular, Full Time Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
HOW TO APPLY:
Please visit https://www.centralcallegal.org/careers/ to submit an online application and join our CCLS family in an effort to Advance Justice & Empower People.
- Represent tenants in unlawful detainer (eviction) lawsuits;
- Represent tenants in litigation and administrative proceedings to improve living conditions;
- Represent tenants in multifamily buildings and/or neighborhoods that are experiencing gentrification pressures;
- Bring strategic, impact litigation to prevent displacement and increase the supply of affordable housing;
- Train, mentor, and supervise pro bono attorneys and law students working on housing cases and at clinics;
- Participate in community outreach events and legal workshops/clinics;
- Identify and analyze systemic issues through individual and impact casework;
- Participate in weekly CCLS case review meetings, keep abreast of changes in the law, including continuing legal education, and adhere to CCLS policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of California; or, eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program and California Bar admission within twelve months of hire;
- Experience working with low-income clients, collaborating effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations, and connecting and strategizing with local community leaders;
- Previous Legal Aid or other non-profit legal services experience desirable;
- Bilingual ability strongly preferred in English and at least one other language commonly spoken in the Central Valley;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills;
- Comfortable working under pressure; on a team or independently; passionate about the work, inquisitive, and analytical;
- Ability to travel as needed, proof of liability and property insurance on vehicle used.
Salary Range DOE ($54,684-$87,468); benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance coverage; employer contribution to 403(b) plan based on length of service; 14.5 paid holidays; generous vacation and sick leave policy; some professional dues paid by CCLS; if qualified, participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program, and/or a Bilingual Supplement.
CCLS is an equal opportunity employer: we value equity, inclusion, and diversity, across all races, cultures, classes, ages, religions, gender identities and presentations, sexual orientations, body sizes, family structures, abilities, and all categories protected by law. We encourage all interested individuals to apply