JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: HOUSING ATTORNEY OR
SENIOR HOUSING ATTORNEY
(Potential Office Locations: East Palo Alto, Burlingame, or Mountain View)
CLSEPA seeks a full-time attorney to work with its housing team. The attorney will represent tenants facing eviction,
pursue affirmative litigation to improve housing conditions and prevent displacement, and provide advice and education
to tenants about their rights. In Silicon Valley, communities of color, especially Latino communities, and other low-wage
workers are facing a crisis of evictions, predatory rent increases, and housing discrimination. CLSEPA is a legal services
non-profit that combines policy advocacy and impact litigation with direct legal services. We specialize in housing,
immigration, and economic advancement. Our legal advocates work side-by-side with low-income communities,
predominately communities of color in East Palo Alto and the Peninsula, to bring about lasting change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Training to be provided as needed)
1. Represent tenants in unlawful detainer (eviction) lawsuits.
2. Represent tenants in litigation and administrative proceedings to improve living conditions.
3. Collaborate closely with organizers to represent tenant associations in multifamily buildings and/or
neighborhoods that are experiencing gentrification pressures.
4. Bring strategic, impact litigation to prevent displacement and increase the supply of affordable housing.
5. Train, mentor, and supervise pro bono attorneys and law students working on housing cases and at clinics.
6. Participate in community outreach events and legal workshops/clinics.
7. Assist with fundraising, including drafting proposals and preparing grant reports
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (Required)
1. California Bar membership
2. Two or more years of post-law school legal experience
3. Proficiency in verbal Spanish
4. Commitment to serving low-income populations and communities of color
5. Excellent written and oral communication skills
6. Ability to relate to and communicate with a broad range of clients and colleagues
7. Values working cooperatively with others, both within the organization and in the community
Salary: Salary range $64,000 to $85,000 (depending on experience). Benefits include medical, vision and dental
insurance, life and disability insurance, and paid leave. CLSEPA also offers a flexible spending plan, for qualified
health and child care expenditures.
To Apply: Please send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and list of three references to Human Resources,
Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto, 1861 Bay Rd., East Palo Alto CA 94303 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with
“Housing Attorney” in the subject heading. No calls please. In your cover letter, please address the following in order
for your application to be considered. CLSEPA’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are low
income persons of color. It is critical that our staff work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our
coworkers, and with the community, and that we create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are
acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have
prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think
broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
CLSEPA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified
employees/applicants in all of our employment practices without regard to race, religion, color, sex or gender (including gender
identity, pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, pregnancy- and childbirth-related medical conditions), sexual orientation, national origin,
ancestry, age, uniform-service member/veteran status, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability,
taking/requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.