Homelessness Prevention Staff Attorney
CLASSIFICATION: Union- Attorney I
SALARY: $60k +
DOQ DEPARTMENT: Legal
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open
For more than 40 years Bet Tzedek has set the standard for innovation and excellence in poverty law. In that tradition, Bet Tzedek is seeking a junior attorney to help staff an exciting partnership to provide comprehensive, trauma informed, wrap-around legal services designed to remove barriers faced by Los Angeles County community members experiencing homelessness or who are at-risk of homelessness.
- Provide intake and assessment for potential clients referred through partnership.
- Advocate on behalf of clients on a wide variety of legal issues that may include eviction defense, housing, employment, public benefits, consumer, immigration law, and other issues impacting obtaining and maintaining housing, income, and employment.
- Represent clients in various forums, including administrative law and superior court proceedings.
- Co-counsel with pro bono volunteers to represent clients.
- Collaborate with Development Staff to meet all relevant grant reporting requirements, including helping compile and interpret data and draft narratives.
- Active member of California State Bar in good standing, or licensed in another state and eligible to practice under CRC Rule 9.45 (required)
- Willingness to train and work with volunteer attorneys and students (required)
- Spanish-language proficiency (preferred)
- Minimum one-to-two years non-profit legal services experience (preferred)
- Experience in landlord-tenant law, employment law, public benefits law, administrative law (preferred)
- Demonstrate an understanding and commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission of equal justice for all and Bet Tzedek’s core values of leadership, community-based advocacy, and innovation.
HOW TO APPLY
Email letter of interest, resume, and minimum salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Subject: “PREVENTING AND ENDING HOMELESSNESS PROJECT”)
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained. To best serve our communities Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply