Health Consumer Center Staff Attorney
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA LEGAL SERVICES
WHO WE ARE: For over 50 years, CCLS has been representing and advocating for lowincome individuals in Merced, Tuolumne, Mariposa, Fresno, Tulare, and Kings Counties—a region where intense poverty exists side by side with unparalleled wealth and abundance. Our mission is to provide high quality, no-cost civil legal services to low income individuals, families, and communities—improving the wellbeing of our Valley through systems-changing advocacy, client education, and legal work that meets individual clients’ immediate needs. We also work closely with agencies and community organizations that share our commitment to support our clients in being their own agents of change. In addition to the main CCLS service areas, the Health Consumer Center also serves individual in the counties of San Luis Obispo, Madera, Stanislaus, San Benito, and Monterey.
CCLS seeks a full-time, Health Consumer Team Attorney to provide advice, counsel, and representation to clients dealing with a variety of issues related to health systems and agencies.
Position: Health Consumer Center Staff Attorney
Experience: 3+ Years Experience, see below
Application Deadline: Friday, October 2, 2020
Location: Fresno Office
Term of Employment: Regular, Full Time
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
HOW TO APPLY:
Please visit https://www.centralcallegal.org/careers/ to submit an online application and join our CCLS family in an effort to Advance Justice & Empower People.
2. Cover Letter addressing the following questions:
a. Please tell us briefly about your experience, if any, doing advocacy work with a low-income community. What skills and qualities did you bring that were important to the effort? What did you learn?
b. Please describe your leadership experience, if any.
c. Tell us about your connection to the Central Valley: how well do you know it? Do you have ties here? What draws you here?
d. Do you have particular interest in being a Legal Aid lawyer? If so, please tell us about that.
3. Three Professional References
4. Legal Writing Sample
● Work with CCLS advocates to ensure delivery of high-quality legal representation to clients consistent with CCLS program priorities;
● Develop and maintain relationships with client groups and community-based service providers, and work with them to identify community lawyering opportunities;
● Identify and analyze systemic issues through individual and impact casework;
● Participate in planning and strategy meetings with project partners and statewide networks of Legal Aid advocates;
● Participate in weekly CCLS case review meetings, keep abreast of changes in the law, including continuing legal education, and adhere to CCLS policies and procedures;
● Other duties as assigned.
● Member in good standing of the State Bar of California; or, eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program and California Bar admission within twelve months of hire;
● Experience working with low-income clients, collaborating effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations, and connecting and strategizing with local community leaders;
● Ability to communicate effectively with people with communication barriers including those who are stressed or confused, those who suffer from physical or mental disabilities or those for whom English is a second language;
● Previous Legal Aid or other non-profit legal services experience desirable;
● Bilingual ability strongly preferred (Hmong/English or Spanish/English);
● Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills;
● Comfortable working under pressure, on a team or independently, passionate about the work, inquisitive, and analytical;
● Commitment to the rights and empowerment of clients;
● Ability to travel as needed and proof of liability and property insurance on vehicle used.
SALARY/BENEFITS: Salary Range DOE ($54,684 to $91,404); benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance coverage; employer contribution to 403(b) plan based on length of service; 14.5 paid holidays; generous vacation and sick leave policy; some professional dues paid by CCLS; if qualified, participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program, and/or a Bilingual Supplement.
CCLS is an equal opportunity employer: we value equity, inclusion, and diversity, across all races, cultures, classes, ages, religions, gender identities and presentations, sexual orientations, body sizes, family structures, abilities, and all categories protected by law. We encourage all interested individuals to apply. This is position is subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement.